Views
Helpful
Replies

FTD 3150 Standby firewall logging issue

adity
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Community expert,

I need your help to under the below requirement.

Current scenario: We have cisco Firepower 3150 manage by FMC, we have seen that the active firewall logs are receiving on syslog server but standby firewall logs are not coming on the syslog.

Old scenario: previously we had ASA 5516 in that firewall I had configured "logging standby" for getting logs from standby firewall.

So kindly help me if we have same configuration in Firepower.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

What type of logs are you expecting to see from the standby device?  Typically you will not see any traffic syslog from the standby device as all traffic is being passed through the primary / active device.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

there is option to enable logging on the standby unit 

MHM

Screenshot (151).png

Thank you for the help, I got the option and I enabled it but yet not receiving the logs

If you can access to standby 

System support  diagnostics-cli 

Show run log 

Check if logging is enable

If it enable then 

Syslog setting some message is by defualt not send to server you need to allow ftd send failover message to server.

MHM

Status of log is enable......

but logs not going

At server end, I have cross checked the configuration too.

Max Jobs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Adity,

In Cisco FTD on Firepower 4100/9300 Series appliances, you typically don't configure syslog directly on the standby unit like you would on the ASA with the "logging standby" command. Instead, you configure syslog settings at the FMC level, and it synchronizes the settings to both the active and standby Firepower devices.

What type of logs are you expecting to see from the standby device?  Typically you will not see any traffic syslog from the standby device as all traffic is being passed through the primary / active device.

--

It means if Failover happen and traffic shift on the secondary FW then logs will send via that firewall....

I already inform you before 
""Syslog setting some message is by defualt not send to server you need to allow ftd send failover message to server."" 
if you dont see failover log message check Syslog setting 
thanks 

MHM

Correct.

--

gabriel garciaf
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guy

The reason is becouse in Firepower HA the main set up is in the active and the stanby no receive traffic, its not the same way that in ASA, if you want to do a test change the passive to active and goin to see the logs, but the appliance that now is standby not seeing more logs.

Or what is the reason that you need the stadby logs?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card