cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE failing user check using TEAP

Chris S
Level 1
Level 1

We have successfully deployed the TEAP policy using Cisco's documentation .   The challenge seems to be that the Machine Compliant policy is the only hit we are getting.  Never hits the Fully Compliant policy.

• Windows supplicant is provisioned as per documentation to use EAP-TLS for both primary and  secondary EAP methods.  
  • Both computer and user root cert providers are the same
  • User certificate is provisioned for "Client Authentication" and located in the Personal->Cert store on the workstation

ChrisS_0-1706275696752.png

We are seeing this in the log - any ideas on what to look for?

11627Starting EAP chaining
 11573Selected identity type 'User'
 11564TEAP inner method started
 11521Prepared EAP-Request/Identity for inner EAP method
 11596Prepared EAP-Request with another TEAP challenge
 11006Returned RADIUS Access-Challenge
 11001Received RADIUS Access-Request
 11018RADIUS is re-using an existing session
 11595Extracted EAP-Response containing TEAP challenge-response
 11567Identity type provided by client is equal to requested
 11522Extracted EAP-Response/Identity for inner EAP method
 11806Prepared EAP-Request for inner method proposing EAP-MSCHAP with challenge
 11596Prepared EAP-Request with another TEAP challenge
 11006Returned RADIUS Access-Challenge
 11001Received RADIUS Access-Request
 11018RADIUS is re-using an existing session
 11595Extracted EAP-Response containing TEAP challenge-response
 11515Supplicant declined inner EAP method selected by Authentication Policy but did not proposed another one; inner EAP negotiation failed
 11520Prepared EAP-Failure for inner EAP method
 11566TEAP inner method finished with failure
 22028Authentication failed and the advanced options are ignored
15 Replies 15

@Chris S the logs imply there is a problem with the EAP method, is the supplicant configured correctly?

You are using a Posture compliant condition in the rule (this is not a requirement for TEAP), I assume the device has actually passed the posture compliance check without problem?

@Rob Ingram  Agree - but I can't see anything setup differently than the recomended settings. If I switch the supplicant to be MSCHAP, it works just fine.

Yes, posture is working ok.

Chris S
Level 1
Level 1

One item to add that i'm working on - when the computer is turned on (no user logged in), it's only using MAB (which fails).  Doesn't look like any EAP auths are being done until a login event occurs.

@Chris S wrote:

One item to add that i'm working on - when the computer is turned on (no user logged in), it's only using MAB (which fails).  Doesn't look like any EAP auths are being done until a login event occurs.

@Chris S that should not be the case, it should at least authenticate the machine, so it should match your "Machine Compliant" AuthZ rule.

Can you provide a screenshot of your Authentication Policy, CAP and Allowed Protocols please?

And a screenshot of the machine failing MAB.

Chris S
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure what CAP is?

Auth Policy:

ChrisS_0-1706278264516.png

Allowed Protocols :

ChrisS_1-1706278346135.png

Computer MAB Failure:

ChrisS_2-1706278674619.png

@Chris S CAP = Certificate Authentication Profile. What is EAP_Chaining and how is it configured?

I would suggest the supplicant is misconfigured, please provide screenshots of how the windows supplicant is configured.

EAP_Chaining uses the certificate auth profile referencing our domain certs then active directory. The cert profile looks in the subject or alternative name attirbute.

ChrisS_0-1706280120633.png

ChrisS_1-1706280152125.png

ChrisS_2-1706280202183.pngChrisS_3-1706280244693.png

Chris S
Level 1
Level 1

@Rob Ingram My apologizes - the MAB issue was due to the wired auto config service not starting.  That is now fixed.  So the computer will pass the machine cert successfully before login .. but after the user logs in, it still complaining about that error in the first posting.

Could you please share ISE certificate authentication profile settings and the identity source sequence "EAP_Chaining" for review?

ChrisS_1-1706280985280.png

ChrisS_2-1706281018354.png

Chris S
Level 1
Level 1

@Rob Ingram  If I change the supplicant to be MSCHAP and the user types their credentials, I hit the "Fully Compliant" policy.  With how ISE evaluates, would the policy care between cert based or password based?

@Chris S the authorisation policy rule does not discriminate between authentication protocol, merely whether user and computer succeeded (and posture compliance). So there is some reason why user TEAP with TLS certificate is failing then.

Check the user certificate store and confirm the certificate is valid and using the correct template.

Take a tcpdump on ISE of the user authentication attempt and confirm the user identity being sent and the protocol etc.

I would try to change the "Use Identity From" in the certificate authentication profile to be "Certificate Attribute" and select the attribute from the dropdown menu. The attribute you selected should be the one you see on the user certificate, typically it would be the DNS SAN value.

@Aref Alsouqi  But wouldn't the "Any subject or Alternative Name.." checkbox cover that?  And also - would I have to create two separate profiles - 1 for users and 1 for machines?