Views
Helpful
Replies

Working with old and new phone

kimthemillenial
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day

I have purchased a new phone and I have transferred all my social accounts on my new phone from my old phone . The accounts are still logged on my old phone . My new phone’s accounts are also logged on .

I would like to know if I turn off duo on my social media accounts on my old phone will my accounts on my new phone be logged out ? . I want to re-set it up on my new phone . Please give me a guide on how to turn it off on old phone and set it with new phone via IOS and via social media . The accounts are logged on , on both devices .

Duo is working on the old phone , but I would like to move it to be set on my new phone

I really would like to know because I really do not want any problems . Any information would help .

Kind Regards

16 Replies 16

timshores1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Kimmie, thank you for posting. I’m glad you asked. Before you remove Duo from your old phone, you do need to follow [our reactivation process to enroll your new phone].(https://help.duo.com/s/article/4412) as a Duo authentication device.

If you have the same phone number, I suggest that you review this guide to managing your authentication devices (your phones, in this case)

https://guide.duo.com/manage-devices

It explains how you can go to Manage Devices to add a new phone. You’ll need to authenticate on your old phone first. Then refer to the steps under Reactivate Duo Mobile.

Let me know how it goes or if I can try to clarify.
Tim

@kimthemillenial On second thought, you’re probably in need of our third-party restore process. Following the articles linked below, enable and back up third-party restore on your old phone. Duo Mobile will ask you to choose a password. You can then enter that password on the new phone to regain access to your third-party accounts, like social media.

https://help.duo.com/s/article/5640
https://help.duo.com/s/article/7070

kimthemillenial
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tim

Thank you so so much for your help and for your guidance on this . I am quite confused .

If possible could you please explain this process on the Duo Mobile app , the IOS . The link you gave me in your first message , I could not understand sorry . I have the app and it didn’t show the app . It does something completely different .

If possible , also a clarification if you have a social media account connected to the Duo App in regards to my question .

Thank you
Kimmie

I’m sorry that I was unclear … I threw a lot of links at you! Basically, you’re going to use Duo Mobile on your old iPhone to backup your third-party social accounts, then Duo Mobile on your new iPhone to recover those accounts.

I’d better let this handy video do the talking:
https://guide.duo.com/duo-restore?wvideo=qm2nf64kxc

This guide steps you through:

1. The third-party account backup process for Duo Mobile on iOS
  2. The recovery process for Duo Mobile on iOS

kimthemillenial
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you so so much Tim , this is much better

So regarding the steps I need to sign into my iOS duo app with the same password I used on my old phone ? . I need sign into the app using the same password on my new phone then the social media accounts will show on the app just like how it shows on my old iPhone ?

First, you must back up your old iPhone using one of the methods described here.

Second, Backup third-party accounts must be enabled in Duo Mobile on the old iPhone. When you enable Backup third-party accounts, you create a recovery password.

Third, you restore your iOS backup to your new iPhone. After restoring from the iOS backup, when you open Duo Mobile on your new iPhone, it’ll prompt for your recovery password. Then Duo Mobile will recover your social accounts.

kimthemillenial
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you

My apologies for the many questions

Once I sign onto my duo mobile after restoring it , my new iPhone won’t have problems . My social media accounts won’t be logged out ?

I’m sorry, but the details of precisely what happens with your social accounts on your device is something we’re not able to support. You could seek help from a service like the Apple Store for support with iOS backup.

Last question Tim sorry

When I have signed on my new device with Duo . I have to clean my old phone. I have erase it, so will it still stay signed on my new iPhone duo mobile even if I erase my old iPhone ?

timshores1
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, once you have confirmed that all of your third-party accounts are working on your new iPhone, you no longer need Duo Mobile on your old iPhone. Uninstalling or deleting Duo Mobile on your old iPhone will not affect Duo Mobile on your new iPhone.

Thank you so much for all your help Mr Tim.

Much appreciated !

You’re welcome Kim, and thank you for keeping your accounts secure!

My apologies for bothering you again😊.

If I forgot my password for duo what do I do ? I have forgotten my password used for duo . I put it in the password on my new iPhone and it says incorrect .

What do you recommend ? Is manually setting it up on the apps by following their 2FA method a good idea ? If I disable on social media and delete and reinstalling duo on both phones and redoing the process work ?

On my new iPhone on the app it’s showing a message showing to “set password” and my accounts are on there . It has a reconnect option .

I tried turning off the back up option in order to reset my password but it says I will loose my accounts .

Hi Kim, at this point I suggest seeking help from your IT department or from an IT service provider. You mentioned in a message to me that this was related to your work. If that’s the case, it makes sense to work with IT resources to get the hands-on help you need.

Quick Links