cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Daylights Saving Time

navivuk
Level 1
Level 1

I am kind of concerned about Daylights saving time. Has anyone had issues when the clock switched over? I know that the computers I had setup needed their clocks fixed up if they didn't match the actual time for Duo to compare. 

As well, how do we deal with this for people in a different time zone? As in, if they bring their laptop from let's say New York to Texas. Is the switch seamless? We are using Microsoft Intune to keep track of devices. I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix this up.

Thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

Rich R
VIP
VIP

@navivuk most devices and applications use UTC (which only changes when there's a leap second but that's a different discussion) for time sensitive transactions so daylight saving time should be irrelevant to that as long as NTP is synchronised.

As for time zone on PCs that's another completely different discussion.  It's usually up to the user to set the correct time zone but if you have a way to detect the device location then you could set it any way you want to.

DuoKristina
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Duo's service is aware of time zones. DST changes shouldn't cause any issues either. Our service looks at time offset in minutes, so usually when someone has a persistent issue with Duo auth due to time issues it's because the client is drifting and there's no time sync via NTP, w32time, etc. keeping it synced with the actual time.

What is Duo's acceptable time offset between my servers and Duo? 

Duo, not DUO.
Quick Links