cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Apple M1 Support

David_Parham
Level 1
Level 1

I know that support on Apple Silicon is currently not available (Two-Factor Authentication for macOS | Duo Security). I know it is probably not possible to say what a projected release date might be, but is anyone aware of an estimate for when we might see Apple Silicon supported by DUO? Q2 2021?

Dave

25 Replies 25

I just checked the new MacLogon 1.1.1 on my MBX with M1 max/macOS 12.3 and I am having no issues with it. We have pushed a Python2.7.8 installation onto our Macs running 12.3, though because otherwise the configuration wouldn’t work.

What really frustrates me though is, that MacLogin 1.1.1 still won’t work, if the Mac is not connected to the internet in any way… It can’t be that hard to implement that, can it?

That’s odd to me, because I thought the purpose of the Duo 1.1.1 update was to use Python 3, since Python 2.7.8 was deprecated in macOS 12.3. I’m not saying you’re wrong and I appreciate the info, this is something we’ll test.

In any case Duo needs to get their act together and officially support M1. It’s one of the only apps we use that does not have native support at this point. At least an ETA would be helpful, I don’t understand how they cannot at least tell us that after more than a year.

Yeah, totally agree with you. The dependency for Python is for the installer only, anyway. Since we’re running Munki/Managed Installs, we simply repacked the plugin and deployed it along with its config, so we’re in general independent from the Python dependency. However, this is not something, you will have at home or in small environment.

rpenas
Level 1
Level 1

I have Duo working on a new M1 MacBook Pro from a clean install of macOS 12.4. I just installed rosetta 2 via terminal " softwareupdate --install-rosetta" . And finally Duo Mac Logon 1.1.1 .

michaelswope
Level 1
Level 1

Any update on this? Could we at least get an official statement as to whether Duo should / should not work if Rosetta is installed?

echlaupka
Level 1
Level 1

@DuoSupportTeam, any updates on this? We were told back in March that “a release date would be announced soon” by @Amy but still haven’t seen anything on this. For a company whose sole focus is modern security, it seems like it’s taking an extremely long time…

Kieran_HC
Level 1
Level 1

I am also looking for a update on this as well. I did an attempt at installing it anyway following the guidance. But to no surprise it just locked out the Mac.

We have purchased the new chipset for our Media & Music departments and currently make use of Duo on our windows devices.

hans-martijn
Level 1
Level 1

It is strange that we are already at the M2 chip from Apple, but you have no sign of supporting either M1 or M2. We use DUO a lot, but are considering other means of authentication, since you don’t even acknowledge you’re working on it or have an estimation on when this will work on a new Mac.

To be honest, I expected more from a Cisco company.

PFelten
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer with several M1 Macs and the latest DUO Mac Logon release is working good on those machines. That said, I contacted DUO support about the Mac Logon app and they said an official / supported software release for M1 and M2 processors likely would not be out until mid 2023.

kehankins
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there! I’m the Product Manager for MacLogon and excited to be added to the Duo Community forum!

Happy to shed some light on where we are for support Apple Silicon. As of the next release for MacLogon 2.0, we will have support for the M1 chipset.

We will not outrightly declare support for M2 as of this release simply because we also pending our own testing of MacLogon on M2 machines.

However, it is worth noting that M2 is still Apple Silicon and thus we don’t anticipate differentiating support - even Apple touts this as a performance enhancement chip with more cores (lots of plussing). We are scoping out a mid-cycle point-release in the coming months for MacLogon 2.X so if we have the opportunity to test this, we will officially advise on M2 support then too.

When is MacLogon 2.0 Releasing?
We are targeting release this quarter (Q3 2022)!

If you are interested in trying out MacLogon 2.0 ahead of the release, please reach out to Duo Support or your Duo Care Team respectively, and we can work with them to get you set up.

Thanks!
–Kevin

Hi everyone,

I’m happy to let you know that Duo for Mac Login v2.0.0 with official M1 support (and offline authentication) was released today.

See the updated instructions at Duo Two-Factor Authentication for macOS | Duo Security

Duo, not DUO.
Quick Links