Views
Helpful
Replies

Precision Time Protocol (PTP) Ordinary Clock Hardware Supported List

onibala
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning Cisco Experts,

Anyone knows the hardware list that support Ordinary Clock (OC) or client configuration? Would all hardware and VM's be able to query GMC?

We are planning to buy the Catalyst 9300 as the GMC, and I want to know whether any Cisco platform can use the GMC as the clock source, instead of NTP.

Thanks You,

Audie

5 Replies 5

Albert Mitchell
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hello,

what is your end goal?   to use PTP to deliver time of day to end devices? 

generally speaking, if a product supports PTP (this includes ordinary clocks) they will receive time from the GMC.

Albert,

Yes, I just want a Cisco router or switch to get time from GMC, Boundary, or Transparent clock. So, what Cisco platforms can query/receive time from GMC, Boundary, or Transparent clock? Or what platforms support basic PTP client feature?

Again, we will purchase industrial grade switch to serve as the GMC.

Thanks,

Audie

Albert Mitchell
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

any Cisco network device which supports PTP can get time from a GMC.  you can check datasheets to see if PTP is supported.  if not listed in datasheet, then its not supported.  and cannot get time from a GMC.

there's more.  there are many different versions of PTP.  the IE switches support 2 of these.  they are called profiles.  its not enough to just support PTP,  you have to ensure all devices in the network support same profile of PTP.   IE switches support Default Profile and power profile.  its listed in the datasheets.

and, you need these devices to use PTP as time of day.  correct?    cause not all of them can take PTP and use as time of day.

Albert,

What I am looking for is the "consolidated datasheet". I need to buy non-industrial grade routers and switches that can query/receive PTP updates. 

Usually when Cisco introduce a feature, it would provide list of what hardware and software platforms that are supported. I cannot find such thing for PTP.

Again, all I ask is for the list of hardware models that support basic PTP client. 

Thanks

Albert Mitchell
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

well its up to every Cisco HW product team to determine if they want to support PTP or not.  i do not know of list of company wide hardware supporting ptp.

you can try cisco feature navigator.