cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sync backed upon codes from Android to iOS?

arun6
Level 1
Level 1

I backed up several 2FA codes on my Duo Android app. I am trying to sync/download them to my new Duo iOS app. Is that possible?

6 Replies 6

TabBerger
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey @arun , welcome to the Duo Community! It is possible to back up and restore your accounts by using Duo Restore. If you use Duo for both Duo-protected accounts from your school/work, as well as your own personal 3rd party accounts such as Facebook or Instagram, please be sure to check out the instructions for both Duo Restore and Third Party Restore, as these types of accounts are restored using different features. You can check out the guide to Duo Restore here: Duo Restore - Guide to Two-Factor Authentication · Duo Security

arun6
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks @Tab_Berger, on my iPhone, I see an option to enable backup of third-party accounts. On my old Android, I had already backed up. To bring those over to my iPhone, I’d enter the recovery passphrase, yes? I looked at my password manager, but I don’t see a recovery passphrase, which means I may not be able to recover any third-party accounts.

Is that correct?

arun6
Level 1
Level 1

More importantly, I am trying to understand where those third-party accounts were backed up to. I am a bit unclear on how Duo works because I am some kind of admin on my own Duo network instead of using the default duo.com network?

TabBerger
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi there @arun , thanks for following up! I noticed in your last response you mentioned that you were moving to a new mobile platform (Android → iOS). Unfortunately, backups can not be restored across platforms. If you still have access to your old device, you can sign in to the accounts using your old 2FA passcode on Android and once authenticated, temporarily remove 2FA from your accounts. This will allow you to log in on your new iPhone and re-add 2FA security back to your accounts without locking yourself out. To reconnect the third-party accounts (such as Facebook, Instagram, or Snapchat), you will need to manually setup each account again by scanning the barcode from your third-party account 2FA setup screen (or entering the passcode if no barcode is displayed).

We also have a great overview video of how Third-Party Accounts work with Duo Mobile on our YouTube channel: How To Recover Instagram, Facebook & Other Third-Party Accounts | Duo Restore (Duo Mobile Android) - YouTube

I hope that information is helpful! Let us know if you have any other questions

arun6
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for sharing that. I already reset my Android. Am I out of luck?

Unfortunately, I think you might be In that case, I would recommend reaching out to the support teams for the accounts (e.g., if it’s Instagram, Instagram Support) to see if they’re able to help you restore access to your accounts

Quick Links