cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Custom icons in Duo app?

lee5
Level 1
Level 1

I’m using the Duo app not just for the multiple duo-protected applications and sites I sign into, but also for storing all of TOTP-based 2FA logins—I’ve got 27 different logins in the app as of this morning.

The duo-protected items pick up their icon from the Duo service, and there are pre-made icons for several of the other TOTP items I use (like AWS), but for the majority of logins I have to either pick an incorrect icon from the app’s list of icons, or just go without.

Having icons to visually differentiate the logins when scanning through the list is a huge help, so I end up going with distinct (but often incorrect) icons so that each service has a visual identifier. However, it would be even better if the app supported user-specified icons—either by picking an image from my device’s filesystem, or by feeding the app the URL of an image I want to use.

Duo has said for at least a couple of years that this functionality is coming, but it has yet to materialize. Any ETA?

46 Replies 46

Thank you for your response Amy.

Please let us know what the product manager has to say regarding this functionality. A simple yes/no commitment and a time frame would be great.

Thank You.

Hi everyone,

I’m the Product Manager for Mobile at Duo. As Amy mentioned, we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us, and we are always looking to improve the mobile experience for users and admins alike. Your feedback matters to us, and I know it can be frustrating to see a requested feature like this go unimplemented for so long. We do have a lean team with a limited number of resources, and we have to work within those constraints.

The answer is yes, we do plan to address this in the future. Because of the public nature of the forum and our ever-evolving priorities, we can’t give a specific timeline here in the Duo Community. For the past 8 months, we’ve been working on a major UI update to our application (the first in 7 years). One of the major parts of that has been working to improve the restore experience for third-party accounts, as we see a significant volume of users being locked out of their personal accounts because they don’t have restore enabled. The team has been focused on introducing a number of new features, such as prompts to explain the restore process in more depth and help walk users through setting up and enabling Duo Restore for Third-Party accounts to help prevent these lockouts. You can learn more about the changes we made there and the overall changes to Duo Mobile that are coming soon in a new release when you read the blog post: Redesigning UI - The Duo Mobile App, What’s New | Duo Security

Third-party applications were just a small part of this project - the overall goal of this major redesign of the Duo Mobile user interface is to make it easier to navigate and easier to modify and arrange accounts. We’ll continue to look at ways to improve that in the future, including continuing to improve the experience for third-party applications.

If you want to participate and provide feedback on the new experience, we welcome you to join the public preview: Try the Updated Duo Mobile | Duo Security

Quick Links