Helpful
Replies

Start Here! Introduce yourself thread

TabBerger
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello everyone and welcome!

2X_9_91a3768620167d2040bbc15a7f333780e44fad52.gif

As you get started here on the community, we’d love if you could introduce yourself or just say hi! We are excited to get to know you a bit better.

What brings you here? What are you hoping to get out of Level Up?

22 Replies 22

Hi @spstevens , welcome to the Community! So glad to have you with us, always nice to meet another learning professional! Level Up is open for registration and I just sent you a message with some additional info on how to get access.

Our courses are focused towards administrators that are deploying Duo in their organization, so this should really help you get a sense of the Duo customer experience and some of the important technical aspects of a Duo deployment. We try to focus on real world use cases overall, and we have courses on much of what you’re interested in, including MFA, Access Policies, and Duo Single Sign-On.

We are working on a series of courses now that will be out in the next couple weeks all around the concept of Device Trust, including how to improve end-user device hygiene with the Duo Device Health app, access policies, and other features available in Duo Access and Beyond editions. We are continually developing more courses and will have more to come soon!

In Level Up, you’ll find many links to the Duo Knowledge Base, duo.com/docs, and other long-form guides that we have designed for deploying Duo. Most of our content surrounding troubleshooting and debugging lives in the Duo Knowledge Base, so I would definitely recommend checking out the articles there if you’re interested

If you have any questions or feedback for our team, we’d love to hear from you! Feel free to reach out to me anytime. I hope you enjoy Level Up and have a great rest of your day!

Tab

manu3l1
Level 1
Level 1

Howdy!

I’m a Newbie in DUO want to learn the basic and best practice on Deployment.
Also use cases for reference.

-every little steps counts

Welcome to the Duo Community, @manu3l! I love your comment “every little step counts”; that’s what it’s all about - being more secure tomorrow than you are today!

You’ll also find lots of deployment advice from other Duo admins here on the Community, so you’ve come to the right place! Feel free to search previous topics or post a new question if there’s anything we can help with!

Also, Have you checked out the Liftoff Guide yet? That’s a really good resource for deployment planning and best practices, and one of my favorite how-to guides we have out there.

Good luck with your deployment and welcome to the Community!

Jeremy.densmore
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! I’m Jeremy, I have been tasked to get Duo up and running asap after only hearing about it less than a month ago lol. Primary initial uses are for RDP and O365. We are a hybrid Microsoft environment. We have Duo up and running in a Test group so far and it appears to be working pretty well. But does anyone have any suggestions or guidance for preparing to roll it out to 500 users en mass? Any best practices? I am an IT Supervisor at a company of about 700 employees and an IT Staff of 7 So any help would be greatly appreciated! Looking forward to interacting with the crowd!

Hi Jeremy! Welcome to the Duo Community! Beginning with a test group is a great first step, so it sounds like you are on the right track so far One of the things we recommend when you are deploying Duo to your organization is using stages to roll out incrementally, so you might deploy Duo to a group of your most technical users (including those 7 IT staff members) next. Have you taken a look at our course offerings on Level Up? Our 3-2-1 Liftoff: Designing Your Duo Launch course sounds like it would be perfect for you, as it covers how to pilot Duo with user groups, select resources for training help desk support teams, and how to design a successful Duo deployment plan, among other things. It contains all of our best practices and recommendations condensed into one place. Best of all, it’s free! Hopefully I don’t sound too much like a salesperson haha, I just really believe in the Duo Level Up platform and its ability to help new admins out.
Asking members of the community for help and pointers is a great call as well. We have a lot of friendly and experienced admins here who would be happy to offer their guidance.

Excellent! This is most likely just what I was looking for. Our sales contacts did a great job getting us up and running, but this is what I was missing for the next steps. Thank you so much Amy!

MTM2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am a single individual user who has downloaded duo for my phone. I write books so I do a lot of marketing on social media and am keen to ensure that my accounts don’t get hacked as that would be fairly disastrous. I have absolutely zero experience in IT or running servers and security systems and am still reading round the duo info trying to work out if I will actually be able to understand this stuff well enough to use it.

For example if I lose my phone the Duo help section gives me all sorts of instructions about what I need to tell my network administrator. Except I don’t have one and I can’t find any obvious instructions. It looks like I will lose all my social accounts if I lose my phone, but I’m not sure and there’s no coherent information for single licence holders that leaves me any the wiser. So it’s actually quite scary.

I’ve come here in the hope I may be able to ask some questions about how it works for individual users, in the event of my being too stupid to extrapolate it from all the instructions for running duo as the IT manager of a larger entity or telling me to contact my network administrator. I’ve tried emailing the help desk but I just get bot replies saying things like, ‘you mentioned instagram is your problem this?’ with the most gloriously wide-of-the-mark guess imaginable. And I write back and say … er … no actually, explain and get no reply other than another gloriously wide-of-the-mark bot guess.

So yeh … flummoxed so far. I haven’t set anything up because I’m afraid I won’t be able to undo it or will do it wrong and lose access to my social media accounts for good.

Be prepared for a lot of very stupid questions …

bnail
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @MTM,

Thanks for reaching out! It sounds like you’re interested in using Duo, and specifically Duo Mobile, to protect your social media accounts. There is no need to sign-up for an organizational account on duo.com if you only want to protect your personal accounts.

In our support documentation, we call personal social media accounts “Third Party Accounts.” We have a feature called Duo Restore for Third-Party Accounts for either Android or iOS devices. It sounds like the possibility of getting locked out of your social accounts is a real concern, and we understand that! We strongly recommend setting up backup and recovery access to your third-party accounts for apps that provide it, and keep special care of your Duo Mobile recovery password — which is the password that Duo cannot recover for you.

Be sure to save any recovery information given to you by applications when you set up two-factor authentication, and enable account backup and restore in Duo Mobile if you set it up to generate passcodes for logging into these applications. Since these are your personal accounts, Duo can’t assist in account recovery beyond Duo Mobile backup and restore.

Here’s a video that will walk you through this process—one for iOS devices and another if you have an Android device. If you want more guidance on protecting your personal accounts with Duo, please have a look at the section on third-party accounts in our “Guide to Two-Factor Authentication.”

Best wishes,
Brian

Quick Links