cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9300 Downgrade Boot Loader from 17.9.2r to 17.3.2r

Sonettech1
Level 1
Level 1

On a Cisco 9300 I need to Downgrade Boot Loader (ROMMON) from 17.9.2r to 17.3.2r. As a test I upgraded to IOS from 17.3.4 to 17.9.4a, as expected the Boot Loader upgraded as well with the IOS upgrade. When I upgraded the the IOS I did not initiate the rollback timer,  I have tried several procedures to to downgrade the Boot Loader and all have failed. I understand that according to Cisco "The updated ROMMON supports previous releases", nevertheless I would prefer to have the correct version of IOS go with the correct version of Boot Loader.

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Sonettech1 wrote:
On a Cisco 9300 I need to Downgrade Boot Loader (ROMMON) from 17.9.2r to 17.3.2r. 

What is the purpose for downgrading the ROMMON to 17.3.2r?  The ROMMON has nothing to do with how the operates in the OS-level.

Because that is what my company prefers. I was able to go back to 17.3.4 on the IOS but the ROMMON did not follow.

ROMMON for routers and WLC can be manually "adjusted" but the ROMMON cannot be manually upgraded/downgraded in Catalyst 9k switches.  The ROMMON is automatically upgraded depending on the firmware used. 

If someone wants to use 17.3.4r, then downgrade to 17.3.X firmware.