cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

YubiKey 5 NFC and Mobile Devices - how to authenticate?

JuniorSA
Level 1
Level 1

Hello - I’m working on implementing the YubiKey 5 NFC for an organization and I’m wondering how users would authenticate on mobile devices such as their phones and tablets? My scenario will focus on Microsoft Azure Active Directory - so a Duo Prompt would appear after implementation for users that have Outlook on their phones.

I found an old thread here, but nothing else:

Documentation states nothing about mobile devices:
https://guide.duo.com/security-keys

7 Replies 7

Amy2
Level 5
Level 5

Hi @JuniorSA,
Based on what I can find so far, Yubikey 5 NFC will not work on a mobile device with Duo. For tablets and phones, we recommend using Duo Mobile to authenticate instead. Have you already looked into that, and is there a reason you don’t want to use it if so?

Hey Amy - thanks for the reply.
A client I’m working with would prefer using the YubiKey as they don’t want to force the installation of the Duo Mobile app on their employee’s phones.

I personally prefer the Duo Mobile app and Duo Push for authentication… but sometimes it isn’t my call

Thank you!

Ah, that makes sense. It is a common thing we hear from users, so I understand. Thank you for sharing that additional info.

The only other option I can think of would be to use a hardware token, or potentially phone call or SMS, but those may not be the best for your given situation as they have their own drawbacks. Sorry I can’t be of more help here!

Genessy
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to authenticate by enabling NFC on my Android phone, and putting the Yubikey 5 NFC to the back of the phone. The phone then prompted me to open a Yubico site that gave me access to copy my passcode into the challenge field for the Office authentication.

Did you have to do any additional configuration in the Duo Admin Console or to the Yubikey??

I followed the instructions listed here to “program” the Yubikey and add it to our console and attach it to the user account.

However, after re-reading your post, we are using a hybrid environment with ADFS, which may make the difference regarding the authentication ability.

Yep I did try this with no success with Azure being the protected application. Plus, with over 50 keys being sent to remote clients this seems quite cumbersome!

Thanks for the input!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links