cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN 2FA default for WIN and MAC

works2020
Level 1
Level 1

I was told there is a default app that will work with the built in Microsoft VPN client, does this exist and if so what is the name? My thinking is Checkpoint VPN but not certain.

Does DUO work on MACs? I believe so, if so what application should I configure in the DUO portal?

Thank you

2 Replies 2

DuoPablo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @works2020,

I was told there is a default app that will work with the built in Microsoft VPN client, does this exist and if so what is the name?

Could you please be more specific? Are you asking what application to choose from in the Duo Admin Panel? It depends on the vendor/type of VPN concentrator (firewall), not necessarily the VPN client itself. If your VPN is provided by CheckPoint, please see Two-Factor Authentication for Check Point Mobile Access | Duo Security. Otherwise, VPN vendors not listed by name can usually be protected using Duo’s Generic RADIUS integration.

We do have an integration for macOS that protects console logins; please see the following configuration guide: Two-Factor Authentication for macOS | Duo Security. Locate the application “macOS” in the Duo Admin Panel.

Hope this helps!

“Could you please be more specific? Are you asking what application to choose from in the Duo Admin Panel?”

When I first created this thread I was asking if there’s a VPN application from the Duo Admin. Now I understand and have configured the RADIUS integration. I configured the .cfg file to connect with a SonicWall TZ400 Radius service and it’s working on the LAN testing from the SonicWall/RADIUS connecting to the Duo Authenticator.

“It depends on the vendor/type of VPN concentrator (firewall), not necessarily the VPN client itself.”

Thanks for the clarification. Have a SonicWall TZ400 with RADIUS configured. It tests fine from the SonicWall and sends a test 2FA to my mobile device. I can’t seem to get remote WIN10 VPN clients to connect externally.

“If your VPN is provided by CheckPoint, please see Two-Factor Authentication for Check Point Mobile Access | Duo Security.”

Using built in WIN10 VPN client configured using using L2TP w/shared secret. When I select Connect its connects fine, problem is it’s bypassing the RADIUS service.

“Otherwise, VPN vendors not listed by name can usually be protected using Duo’s Generic RADIUS integration.”

Configured and working, see above.

Thanks for the MAC information, we’re not covering MACs at the moment but something we’ll consider in the near future.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links