Users unable to receive activation text message


Hi - We have had several cases in the last month where a user is unable to receive the initial activation text message. This has happened on both Android and IOS devices. Our solution has been to craft a specific QR code and email it to those users. However, as the numbers increase we worry that this won’t scale well.

Is anyone else seeing this, and if so, do you have a fix?


Telephony actions like calls and texts have different costs depending on the number being reached - if you are exceeding the threshold set in Settings, you may get an action that won’t complete.

To check, go to Settings in your Admin Panel - Look in the Telephony Credits section to see what your “Max credits per action” is set to.

Check out the Telephony Rate Card, and find out if the rate could be exceeding the threshold set. Compare this against your Telephony Log

Some countries have “Do Not Text” lists which prevent texts from coming through that are sent by services like Duo. If that is the case, your user would need to get their number removed from such a registry. Some countries like India have reliability issues with SMS. It could also be an issue with a telephony provider.

edit: spelling



FWIW, we have seen this problem as well, and we have an open ticket with Duo. I have found that if you can email them the QR code. Here are some instructions I sent to our help desk on how to do this.

scan the code with the Duo mobile app using the “add account” function. The code looks like this:


Now you do need still generate an activation code using the admin interface, but, you don’t need to actually send it to them.

You generate the code, and then cut out the actual URL and append it to this link.


So, in our example, the link from the activation code is

We put them together to get the result https://■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/android/t5EdfsdfOJDSFcosoi2Lk3ds

Anyway, hope this helps.