Unix Duo for Linux Ubuntu

Hello,

I am new to setting up Duo 2FA for Unix, yet new to Linux environment also. I have followed both log_duo and pam_duo instructions. What I am trying to figure out is how to implement Unix 2FA with an existing Duo User. I realized that when I “tested” pam_duo/login_duo, it generates creates a “root” user in the Duo Admin Panel. That is what I did not want. I would like Unix Duo to be carried thru an existing Duo User. Is there a way to divert this to an existing Duo User, such that it does not utilize a license?

Also is there a way to prevent from going to root@“username” after authenticating in Linux?

Hi @skylin3r92 ,

Sorry to hear you’re having issues with your Duo Unix install.

I have followed both log_duo and pam_duo instructions.

Typically customers install either pam_duo or login_duo. Is there a reason why you would want to install both? If not, I suggest you remove login_duo and just use PAM.

I realized that when I “tested” pam_duo/login_duo, it generates creates a “root” user in the Duo Admin Panel

Did you test it as root? That could explain why it wanted you to enroll a root user in Duo. Configured correctly, it should only need the actual user logging in enrolled as a Duo user.

Also is there a way to prevent from going to root@“username” after authenticating in Linux?

I’m not sure what this means?