cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple Way to Bypass Duo with RDP

BMGraham
Level 1
Level 1

I have Duo Security set up with Windows Remote Desktop so that when I RDP to my Windows 10 machine, I get a Duo Security alert that is needed to log in.

However I have discovered that if I cancel the Duo Popup on my Windows PC, at the bottom Left corner of the Windows Login screen, there are two rectangular boxes for my userid. If I click on the second one, it wants me to authenticate via Due Security but if I click on the first one, I can simply bypass Duo Security and log in without Duo requiring me to authenticate via MFA!

I can’t believe it would be so easy to work around Duo Security. Is there a way I can stop that first login option from appearing so that Duo can’t be bypassed?

4 Replies 4

BMGraham
Level 1
Level 1

I am thinking this may related to the issue mentioned here

Duo Authentication for Windows Logon and RDP: FAQ | Duo Security?

PatrickKnight
Level 1
Level 1

@BMG4ME That is a possibility if you are using Microsoft LiveId/Account. Additionally there are a number of other scenarios we have documented here: https://help.duo.com/s/article/4341?language=en_US

I think I may have found another one which I really would rather discuss privately.

If that’s the case I would suggest engaging our Security Response guidance found here: Security Response | Duo Security.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links