Views
Helpful
Replies

Remember Me no longer working on Safari 12

thomasdang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

The remember me checkbox is no longer able to be checked on Safari. This happened quite recently, so I think it began with Safari 12.

I have tried turning off both the “Block all cookies” privacy setting and “Prevent cross-site tracking” settings in Safari, no no avail. Duo will complain that “you need to enable cookie to use remember me”

The issue is specific to Safari. Remember Me still work on Firefox and Chrome on my Mac.

Safari users are reporting this issue with other sites too, not just Duo. It is possible that the issue is related to the version of the Mac OS or iOS, not the version of Safari, as someone on this thread suggests https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250603517.

Thanks,
Thomas

9 Replies 9

cahadden
Level 1
Level 1

I’m seeing this, as well, at my university workplace. This is only happening with Safari and macOS Mojave. Other browsers in Mojave are fine; other macOS’s Safari have no trouble; and so far it seems as if the Remember Me/Safari cookies function works fine with other non-Duo requiring sites.

I’ve tried every relevant combination of Safari cookie settings, all to no avail.

Carroll
Brandeis University

cahadden
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. See https://help.duo.com/s/article/2189?language=en_US

Looks like a fix will be coming next month.

Carroll

adm1
Level 1
Level 1

I definitely remember reading on the page that you linked that a fix was coming on a specific date in December (sometime during the first week, if memory serves). But that same page no longer mentions a forthcoming fix at all.

It just suggests the only functional workaround: allowing all third party cookies. I don’t doubt that a better solution will be difficult. Safari’s updated ability to effectively and aggressively block tracking cookies is already legendary: https://daringfireball.net/linked/2019/12/09/the-information-ad-tracking

Since Apple introduced what it calls its Intelligent Tracking Prevention feature in September 2017, and with subsequent updates last year, advertisers have largely lost the ability to target people on Safari based on their browsing habits with cookies, the most commonly used technology for tracking. One result: The cost of reaching Safari users has fallen over 60% in the past two years, according to data from ad tech firm Rubicon Project. Meanwhile ad prices on Google’s Chrome browser have risen slightly.

That reflects the fact that advertisers pay more money for ads that can be targeted at people with specific demographics and interests. “The allure of a Safari user in an auction has plummeted,” said Rubicon Project CEO Michael Barrett. “There’s no easy ability to ID a user.”

So I’m certainly not going to turn all of that off, just to work around a problem that Duo needs to address.

I’m hopeful that Duo is still working on a solution, but has discovered that their original solution (and timeline) wouldn’t do the trick. But that hope isn’t based on any information I have from them, just my experiences with working with them in the past.

Guitar_Mania
Level 1
Level 1

Guess there is still no solution? What a useless app. Get better developers.

Amy2
Level 5
Level 5

Hi everyone, this is because Safari 12 for macOS 10.12 or later does not allow setting exceptions for third-party cookies.
We are working on a solution still, and while I would love to tell you more, unfortunately I cannot due to the public nature of the community. However, you should reach out to your Account Executive or Customer Success Manager if you have one to inquire further about this.

Jonathan9
Level 1
Level 1

Please find a solution to this. I’m not going to give up Safari or globally enable 3rd party tracking all to please your website, which I am forced to use by my employer and would not if it were up to me.

David110
Level 1
Level 1

Come on Duo! This really is annoying me every single day.

Also, your macOS version detection is broken. I am on the newest version macOS 11.2!

Why can you not fix these issues that exist for over a year now?

Heather_Merhout
Level 1
Level 1

I have been waiting for a solution for years now. Is the problem still being worked on?

Hi everyone, thank you for your patience on this! I know you have been waiting for an update for a while now. As previously mentioned, Safari 12 for macOS 10.12 or later does not allow setting exceptions for third-party cookies which prevents Remembered Devices from working. You have a few options though.

1. You could use the Duo Universal Prompt, which uses first-party cookies. First-party cookies typically are not blocked, so no exceptions should be required in order for Remembered Devices to work.
  2. Alternatively, you could update to a later version of Safari and follow the steps in the article here to make the necessary exceptions.

There was previously a bug where “Remember me” was not working for Safari 13.0.3 and could not be selected. This has since been fixed, however, and should now work.

Quick Links