cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RDP login hangs

Y0tsuya
Level 1
Level 1

Occasionally when logging into a Windows 10 machine the process hangs. Usually caused by my mobile phone not being online for the push notification, but not always. When that happens I’m greeted with a blank screen showing an inactive duo dialog, or this time a “Please Wait” message.

Normally when that happens I just wait until I get home from work and log in from the desktop which will clear whatever caused the freeze. But I’m out-of-town and it will be another week before I get back. What can I do about this?

32 Replies 32

johner
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem, I think mine is triggered by the RDP client on my Mac ‘auto reconnecting’ when I drop in and out of wifi signal, I get random Duo notifications when I’m not using my machine, so I ignore. These requests for approval then layer on each other leading to either a hang at the duo pop screen in RDP (with a red time out message) but can’t be cleared, or stuck at the ‘please wait’ screen. Like you I need a way to clear remotely…

@DUO can you put a fix in to check for timeouts/multiple failed attempts to clear or reset something please?

We have experienced similar issues, and it appears to be random. We have tested with WiFi on/off on the mobile device. We have to cancel the push, and re-send it from time to time if the timeout occurs.

I have noticed that it doesn’t always prompt on the iPhone notifications either, so I tend to keep the DUO app open and they will show up in the app if you don’t get the notification.

You may want to reference our iOS push troubleshooting guide in that case: http://help.duo.com/s/article/2051. There are several different ways to resolve issues with notifications appearing on iOS devices.

We have a guide for Android troubleshooting as well at http://help.duo.com/s/article/2050.

igreka2n
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I’m having the same issue, but I think I’ve found how to reproduce it.

The problem is that sometimes, upon logon, the Duo dialog is not working. It appears unfocused, and I can’t click anywhere :

Steps to reproduce the issue:

• Initiate an RDP connection to the server, authenticating via NLA.
  • The Duo Security dialog shows, and is working. DON’T AUTHENTICATE, but rather close the RDP client window
  • Initiate a new RDP connection to the same server, still authenticating via NLA
  • The Duo Security dialog shows unfocused and doesn’t work

Can someone help me with that issue? It seems like the system is waiting for the older dialog to close, but it never does, except when logging in on the local console.

EDIT:
As a temporary workaround, I’ve created a task in the Task Scheduler that runs “taskkill /F /IM LogonUI.exe” 20 seconds after every remote user login. After 20 seconds, if they didn’t authenticate, they get asked for their password a second time, and the Duo dialog that now opens is functional.

I think that this bug still needs to be corrected, though.

Oleg_Bezk
Level 1
Level 1

The same problem - some users complaining that DUO window hanging and they can do nothing, all buttons are inactive, I have to do force logoff their accounts from RDP session.
Windows 2019, I can’t reproduce this problem.

Daniel_Wang
Level 1
Level 1

Having exactly same problem. Screen sometimes stuck on “please wait” screen, has to go to VMware session to log of the current session.

I have this exact problem as well, and it looks like this bug has been present for a couple of years?

Host is a VM Running windows 10 Pro, login always work from the machine itself, but via RDP (when DUO is set to work) client connection hangs either at an unresponsive Duo window, or at the purple “Please Wait” screen. Super annoying and kind of a big problem.

Please FIX this.

Cailie_Crane
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @Dooley, do you have any thoughts about the subsequent comments on this thread? It seems that the issue cannot be resolved using the troubleshooting guide.

Hi Cailie,

I think the push troubleshooting guide was intended for the specific issue @dconavatti mentioned:

it doesn’t always prompt on the iPhone notifications either, so I tend to keep the DUO app open and they will show up in the app if you don’t get the notification.

It’s hard to tell what’s going on here without seeing your logs. Please don’t share those on the community, btw! You should follow the instructions here to create a zip file, and then open a support case and share the file with them.

@johner mentioned he’s using a Mac. If accessing an RDP session through an RD Gateway server on Mac, please reference this help article for how to resolve the connection timeout.
This also sounds kinda similar to the thread here on Secure Desktop locking user input due to the logon timeout. You can check out my response in that thread for more info.

The best way to get help with this though is to open a support case and send your logs.

DaveR1
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings - SAME issue tonight. Surprised I found this, but I had the same issue. Normally this never happens. What was different for my was that on the server I was running Kali Linux in a Hyper-V session (but I thought I killed it). When I tried coming back in my machine eventually had the “please wait”. Before that, it was saying that it wasn’t connected to the network and wanted my 6 digit authorization. Funny, that I was on via RDP (but in my house).

Anyway, just wanted to add to the list. Very strange. I just did a hard shutdown and I am back.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
DaveR

Hey Dave, thanks for adding more context to this discussion by sharing your experience with us. If no one else has any other thoughts on this, I recommend you open a case with Duo Support. Please see my previous comment about how to pull your logs, as you will need those when working with the team.

DaveR1
Level 1
Level 1

Amy,

Thanks, and I will open a case as I believe I have some additional information that might help with trouble shooting. I NEVER have any issues with Duo and my RDP server, it was only when I had Hyper-V running. Thanks for the guidance, and if this is repeatable and subsequently solved I will share an update.

Thanks,
Dave

fjuang
Level 1
Level 1

I’m having the same issues, mac can’t do anything after RDP connection after it says login timed out. Have to switch to another user and kill the RDP connection.

bradhs
Level 1
Level 1

All of our Mac users are having the same Problem. What’s the solution?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links