cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Making SMS 2FA by default?

NicolasD
Level 1
Level 1

As a system administrator that uses a dumbphone(the best thing you could ever get, as i spend my time either in front of my computer or at a colleague’s workstation), I would very much prefer to get my authentification code as a SMS instead of a phone call, is there any way to set the default way to reach me as such?

I have read the blog post on security and it doesn’t apply to me, as you can’t have a rogue app on a dumbphone and the phone stays in my pocket unless i’m talking on it.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DuoKristina
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The answer here is “no” but has some shading that depends on what Duo application you’re logging in to when you perform 2FA.

If you’re signing into something that performs an automatic Duo push or phone call without presenting you with a UI to choose your 2FA factor, you can’t make it default to sending you an SMS with a passcode automatically, but you may be able to append ,sms to your password on submit to receive a text. This is not available with all integrations.

If you’re signing into something that does present a UI where you can choose your Duo factor, you can’t make it default to sending you a passcode via SMS, but you can choose to have a passcode sent to you via SMS.

Duo, not DUO.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

DuoKristina
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The answer here is “no” but has some shading that depends on what Duo application you’re logging in to when you perform 2FA.

If you’re signing into something that performs an automatic Duo push or phone call without presenting you with a UI to choose your 2FA factor, you can’t make it default to sending you an SMS with a passcode automatically, but you may be able to append ,sms to your password on submit to receive a text. This is not available with all integrations.

If you’re signing into something that does present a UI where you can choose your Duo factor, you can’t make it default to sending you a passcode via SMS, but you can choose to have a passcode sent to you via SMS.

Duo, not DUO.
Quick Links