cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LDAPS With Self Signed Cert

Darcon
Level 1
Level 1

I have been banging my head against Google trying to get Duo Auth Proxy (Ubuntu) to work with LDAPS using a self signed cert. I have confirmed that LDAPS is working using the cert I created. Ldp.exe binds LDAPS (after I import the .cer into my Windows PC), a SaaS service is able to use LDAPS, and our Meraki AD integration picked it up. I have double and triple checked my DC to make sure I have the correct cert.

Duo works fine when I comment out the LDAPS strings in the ad_client section of my config file.

The cert was created in PowerShell, and the correct hostnames are being used. I put the .PFX in the personal computer store on the Domain Controller, and exported that same .PFX in .CER Base64, then converted that to .PEM using OpenSSL.

I am using a Duo free account if that makes any difference.

6 Replies 6

pgp
Level 1
Level 1

Since the cert is self-signed, it is its own CA, and has to be added to the “SSL CA certs file” as mentioned in your error message. (Or change the Auth Proxy’s config to point to a new file containing a copy of the cert.)

Darcon
Level 1
Level 1

I am specifying the exported .PEM in the authproxy config. See below for the LDAPS parts in my config:

transport=ldaps
ssl_ca_certs_file=dc.pem exported pem in /conf
ssl_verify_hostname=true

I’ll look into the SSL CA certs file. Thanks!

Darcon
Level 1
Level 1

I created a new cert using OpenSSL on Linux and got everything working. I don’t know why it didn’t like the cert I created with PowerShell, possibly because it was a 6 year cert? The new one is only 1 year.

I generated the .KEY and .CRT, then converted the .KEY to .PFX. This was all done with OpenSSL.

Did the first self-signed cert include “Certificate Signing” in its key usage? That is an extra requirement we have (mentioned in the description of the ad_client ssl_ca_certs_file parameter) when you use a self-signed cert. I don’t think New-SelfSignedCertificate includes that key usage by default.

Duo, not DUO.

That was most likely it. I can’t find any reference to “Certificate Signing” in the New-SelfSignedCertificate cmdlet. All I worried about were the correct hostname/alternative names, then exported the .PFX and .CRT files. The Org/OU/etc fields were all left blank unlike my OpenSSL cert. I also had to create the .PFX using the .KEY and .CER files that were created with OpenSSL.

Hopefully this helps someone.

-keyusage certsign

Specifies the key usages set in the key usage extension of the certificate. The acceptable values for this parameter are:

CertSign
CRLSign
DataEncipherment
DecipherOnly
DigitalSignature
EncipherOnly
KeyAgreement
KeyEncipherment
None (default)
NonRepudiation
Duo, not DUO.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links