cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

iOS 12.4.2 considered end of life?

KevinSiddique
Level 1
Level 1

With the release of iOS 13 I understand why iOS 12.4 is considered end of life by Duo. However, 12.4.2 was just released 8 days ago and many of our users are being blocked because it’s an “old version”.

When updating the Global Policy I noted that Android OS has 3 block options:
-if less than latest
-if not up-to-date
-if end-of-life

While iOS only has 2 block options:
-if less than latest
-if end-of-life

Why is that?

6 Replies 6

mkorovesisduo
Level 4
Level 4

Hi KevinSiddique, we follow Apple’s guidance and infer from their previous actions regarding what is considered “end-of-life” (EOL). Generally, Apple has treated the previous major release as EOL once the new major release is out.

To give your users more time to upgrade, you can configure a grace period in the Operating Systems policy control section after selecting “Block versions” or “Encourage users to update”, as seen below:

2X_4_4228a11a1f36feb27c34694a53103a3ca47def5e.png

I hope this helps!

Can you cite the “guidance” you are inferring from? iOS 12 has received 6 additional updates since this was originally posted, as recent as July.

It’s also counter productive that the instructions within the Duo app instruct users to update their device to a “recommended” OS that isn’t even supported by the device. This seems incredibly lazy to not do a simple cross-check with hardware model identifiers and their supported OS versions. If the security stance from Duo is latest iOS only and the running device doesn’t support that major OS, then the Duo app should state that.

Communication is a critical element of organization security, and if a user becomes accustomed to seeing poor messaging like this they are more likely to ignore any future messages when there may be a real issue and they need to take action.

We just had the same issue with iOS 13 to 14 transition this morning. We had many users get blocked this morning because iOS 13.7 (released on 9-1-2020) was marked end of life by Duo. The dynamic EOL policy needs to be fixed or better documented.

nyca
Level 1
Level 1

ios12 just got more security updates in Dec 2020.

@mkorovesisduo - can you please reference which documentation from Apple you are relying on to treat 12.x as end of life?

Hi @nyca and everyone,
No, unfortunately Apple does not provide public facing guidance we can link to here. However, I have shared your feedback with the product team around this, and it is something we are discussing internally. I’ll follow up with an update when there is any news we can share publicly! Thank you for raising these issues here and taking the time to share your feedback.

Thank you Amy

I threw together a quick google docs table, comparing the timeline of ios12 vs 13/14 releases.

On one hand, there are clearly more releases for whichever ios is latest at any given time.
On the other hand, there are definitely releases coming down the pipe for ios12, altho fewer.

Is it because those CVEs don’t apply to the older iOS, or because apple doesn’t feel they’re important enough for the old iOS - we’ll never know.

iphone 6/6Plus, which are the models that are stuck on 12.x, are also not listed by apple as vintage nor obsolete - so I can’t in good faith tell my end users with iphone 6/6plus to upgrade because it’s end of support.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links