Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I'm so confused - how to I add multiple devices or even back up my account

Hi there,

I’ve set up duo on my iPhone and added dozens of websites/banks.

I have three phones and an iPad due to my work. I need to log in to this duo account on these other devices too - however, when I open duo on the new devices there is no ability to log in to my existing account - and when I go to my existing account I realize it’s not even registered to an email, I literally just downloaded the app and started adding things.

I think I’m probably going about this completely the wrong way? I’ve set a ‘reset password’ but it’s not even linked to an email from what I can see so I’ve no idea how this would work if I actually did lose my phone,

Can someone please let me know:

1 - How I set this up properly across multiple devices so it’s mirrored
2 - If I can’t - can someone recommend a better 2FA solution that actually has this basic functionality

5 Replies 5

Nevermind I hunted for an hour and ended up deleting Duo and mirgrating to 2FAS as it was able to sync my devices.

Hi, I’m sorry to hear that you ended up going with another app over Duo, but I am glad you found an authenticator app that meets your needs! I’d like to still respond to your question, in case the answer could help anyone else here in the Community.

You’re correct in saying that the Duo Mobile app is not linked to an email, and there is no ability to log in to the app. Duo Mobile is tied to your device’s unique hardware security module (HSM), so it works a little differently than most apps you might be familiar with. You add accounts to the app by scanning a QR code that the service provider (the account you’re logging in to when you use Duo Mobile) typically provides when you first enable 2FA.

The restore functionality to recover your accounts if you lose your phone uses your device’s backup mechanism (iCloud backup for iPhone). Since you set the recovery password, it sounds like you enabled Duo Restore for Third-Party Accounts. If you were to lose your phone, you would recover your new device from an iCloud backup, open the Duo Mobile app, and enter your recovery password to restore those accounts.

You mention using Duo Mobile for websites and banks, so it sounds like you are using Duo Mobile for third-party accounts exclusively. These are accounts you set up and maintain yourself, which don’t have a Duo administrator. The best way to use multiple devices with these types of accounts is to scan the same QR code with each device when you first enable 2FA for your accounts. This will ensure that no matter which device you’re using, you will be able to authenticate with it. Hope that helps!

Aloha, Amy,

Will there be any additional license fees for using multiple devices?

“The best way to use multiple devices with these types of accounts is to scan the same QR code with each device when you first enable 2FA for your accounts. This will ensure that no matter which device you’re using, you will be able to authenticate with it.” -Amy

Mahalo,
Jasper Green

Howdy @jgreen, great question! I’m happy to share that there are no additional fees for using multiple devices. In fact, Duo Mobile is entirely free to use for anyone, for any number of accounts. No licenses required!

The only time there are licenses with fees when using Duo is if you are protecting organizational accounts with 10 or more users, or you want some of the additional features that premium Duo editions provide. You can check out what some of those are in this handy chart of Duo editions and pricing. In general, basic multi-factor authentication for individual use is entirely free though!

Hope that helps

Mahalo, Amy,

Thanks you for your response, I was also informed from the support, that multiple devices (phone and tablet), but only one device can authenticate.

Just thought I share my findings,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links