cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to: change DUO 'default' device for RDP Gateway

jav1
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings, how do I choose which device DUO uses when connecting to RDP or RDP Gateway?

For example my DUO user account has three devices, and they include DUO push and phone calls. When I log in to RDP DUO always pushes to my cell phone, and it works great. Now how do I tell DUO to send a push to my other device, or to call my landline?

Another user 's default is a telephone call, I’d like to change him to a push notification.

Thanks!

JA

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mkorovesisduo
Level 4
Level 4

Hi there, are you an administrator for your Duo account? If so, utilize the following directions. If not, you will need to work with your Duo Administrator to reorganize devices if the self-service portal is not enabled.

Because our RD Gateway integration exclusively uses our auto-push functionality, it will always send a push or phone call authentication request to the push- or phone-call-capable 2FA device at the top of the user’s “Phones” device list on their user page in the Duo Admin Panel.

If you want to receive a push or phone call on a different device, drag that device to the top of the Phones list. Note that auto-push always prioritizes sending a push notification over a phone call.

It sounds like the other user needs to install and activate Duo Mobile on their smartphone, and then they will receive automatic pushes when logging in. If they have Duo Mobile installed on one of their 2FA devices, but it is listed below a phone without Duo Mobile, try dragging the device with Duo Mobile installed above the phone-only device in their Phones list.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mkorovesisduo
Level 4
Level 4

Hi there, are you an administrator for your Duo account? If so, utilize the following directions. If not, you will need to work with your Duo Administrator to reorganize devices if the self-service portal is not enabled.

Because our RD Gateway integration exclusively uses our auto-push functionality, it will always send a push or phone call authentication request to the push- or phone-call-capable 2FA device at the top of the user’s “Phones” device list on their user page in the Duo Admin Panel.

If you want to receive a push or phone call on a different device, drag that device to the top of the Phones list. Note that auto-push always prioritizes sending a push notification over a phone call.

It sounds like the other user needs to install and activate Duo Mobile on their smartphone, and then they will receive automatic pushes when logging in. If they have Duo Mobile installed on one of their 2FA devices, but it is listed below a phone without Duo Mobile, try dragging the device with Duo Mobile installed above the phone-only device in their Phones list.

Thanks M, you are right and right again. Yes, I’m an admin and can change the device order. My first device is a landline telephone, and like you said DUO skips it to find my first push device.

My other user does not have the app installed on his cell phone, so he has been using the telephone callback for months. I’m on it!

I don’t know if this information is available in your documentation. Either way I appreciate your quick, accurate clarification.

Cheers,

JA

mkorovesisduo
Level 4
Level 4

Glad to hear it was resolved! I’m going to work to put together a new Knowledge Base article on this so we have it documented.

Quick Links