cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I recover my stolen Instagram account when my phone was also stolen?

The phone where I had the duo mobile app got stolen and it seems someone logged into my account and changed my password. I’m trying to retrieve my account from my email but when I get to Instagram, it keeps asking for the authentication code. How do I get it since the phone is stolen?

2 Replies 2

Amy2
Level 5
Level 5

Hi @goodness_ohanyere, just a heads up that I moved your post to its own topic because it concerns a unique issue from the thread you initially commented on. This helps keep the community organized, so others with a similar issue can find the answer in the future.

I’m sorry to hear your phone was stolen! That’s definitely not a fun experience to have. Looking at Instagram’s help center, they have an article about how to recover your account in cases where it is hacked or stolen: https://help.instagram.com/149494825257596
It says if you’re unable to recover your account with a login link, you may be able to request support from Instagram:

Request a security code or support from Instagram

Instagram app for Android:

1. On the login screen, tap Get help logging in. below Log In.
  2. Enter the username, email address, or phone number associated with your account, then tap Need more help? . Keep in mind that if you have more than one Instagram account you may need to select the account you’re having trouble logging into first, then follow the on-screen instructions.
  3. Tap Need more help? then follow the on-screen instructions.
  4. Select either your email address or phone number, then tap Send Security Code .
  5. If you don’t receive a security code, tap I can’t access this email or phone number below Send Security Code , then follow the on-screen instructions.

Instagram app for iPhone:

1. From the login link screen, tap Need more help? below Send Login Link . Select either your email address or phone number, then tap Send Security Code .
  2. If you don’t receive a security code, tap I can’t access this email or phone number below Send Security Code , then follow the on-screen instructions.

Another option if you have a new device and you previously backed up your Duo Mobile account on your old device of the same platform using Duo Restore for Third-Party Accounts, is to restore your phone from a backup, open the Duo Mobile app, and follow the instructions to recover your accounts to the new device. See this article for more info: https://help.duo.com/s/article/5640

Maddie_Andrew
Level 1
Level 1

Hello snap_restore via 1G fixed mine

Quick Links