Helpful
Replies

FortiGate L2TP Duo 2FA

MS_Mum
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!
Duo Authentication Proxy 5.7.2.
I already have Duo 2FA working with FortiGate SSL VPN. Now I am trying to make it work with our L2TP but so far no luck.
I have setup Radius server on Fortigate and I have tried both Pap and MS-CHAPV2 options.
From FortiGate test user crenedial option. If I enter username/password part of security group that is connected via radius server then it worked or it works for any AD user and I get a a Duo Pop and when I approve it then I get success message.
So when I try to use L2TP I get Authentication failed error. I dont get any messages on Duo log so that means FortiGate is not sending any thing to Duo in this case. This is when I have enabled PAP.
FortiGate ----pap ---- Duo Proxy server.
If I try changing the authentication method to MS-CHAP-v2 and try to test the user credentials then I get error
AVP: l=22 t=Vendor-Specific(26) v=Microsoft(311)
VSA: l=16 t=MS-CHAP-Error(2)
Value: ‘<00>E=691 R=0 V=3’
AVP: l=14 t=Reply-Message(18)
Value: ‘No password.’

Does anyone know if this is possible. I can open ticket with support as well. I was under impression that this should work in 5.7.2 as it does support MS-Chap-v2. Fortigate by default use chap authentication.
In my config file I have
Following section
[ad_client]
[cloud]
[radius_server_auto]
I am not sure if i have to add radius_client for this setup or not.

Anyone suggest something?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Hiro_Nakano
Level 1
Level 1

Hi MS_Mum,

Welcome to the Duo community!

You may need to use a [radius_client] section in the Duo Authentication Proxy configuration file for an application that will not work as expected with [ad_client]. For example, applications that need to pass group memberships via RADIUS.

To authenticate from the Duo Proxy to Active Directory as a RADIUS client, you can deploy Microsoft’s Network Policy Server (NPS) as a RADIUS server or a RADIUS server from another vendor between Active Directory and the Duo Authentication Proxy, and add the Duo Proxy server as a client of the NPS server.

Please find this article that is a guide to configuring the Duo Authentication Proxy as a RADIUS client in NPS.

Hope this helps.

If you have any problem with the Duo portion of this configuration, or with the overall concept, I recommend you reach out to support@duosecurity.com for assistance.

Hi Hiro!

Thanks. I have Cisco ISE and I was pointed by support team to Duo Two-Factor Authentication for Cisco ISE | Duo Security
I am going through the documentation to check if this is valid for my scenario.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links