cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Feature request: Bypass Mode

BusterDoney
Level 1
Level 1

Please, please could we get the option to deny the permission for admins with the “User Manager” role to set users to bypass mode? Or at least a radial button in the Duo Admin Portal under Settings to DISABLE the option of Bypass Mode altogether?

We have many systems administrators in our organization, each responsible for a branch of the organization. They need to be able to manage the users under their branch (hence the User Manager role). However, we have a strict enterprise policy of not allowing any user to be able to bypass Duo. They can get a temp bypass code no problem but we don’t want them to be able to bypass mfa.

For now our workaround is to use a Splunk integration which triggers a script to reset a user to Active based on a Duo bypass mode event. Sometimes this can take a few minutes to execute the workflow and reset the user back to ACTIVE and that window of time is too long for our desired security posture.

Thanks!

6 Replies 6

robertctate
Level 1
Level 1

I couldn’t agree more. Please make this a feature. I would like to have the option to not allow some of our admins, user administrators and help desk folks to NOT be able to put people into bypass. It’s their “easy fix” for situations which they don’t know how or don’t want to resolve. I would rather they dealt with the issue, create a bypass code, or issue a hardware token temporarily.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. To file an official feature request, please reach out to the Duo support team or your account executive or customer success manager (if you have one).

Duo, not DUO.

BusterDoney
Level 1
Level 1

Kristina,

I have raised this request with our customer success manager. I posted this 2 years ago in the hopes of gaining more eyes on the feature request from other customers as well. This is still a problem for us and Duo customers.

-Buster

Raising awareness is a good idea, and if other customers see this and agree with the ask they should also contact Duo via the aforementioned channels to give support to the feature request.

Duo, not DUO.

I do not see any mention in the release notes but is this a new feature available now in the Duo Admin portal? It appears that we can now enable/disable this ability for the User Manager role, this is a big deal for us!

Yes, @buster. This option became available earlier this month and is documented here and was mentioned in the 9/2/22 release notes here.

Duo, not DUO.
Quick Links