cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fall Creators Update (Version 1709) of Windows 10 breaks Duo for Windows Logon’s support for Microsoft Accounts

Nebb
Level 1
Level 1

Ever since Windows 10 decided to the upgrade to the latest Fall Update. Whenever I RDP into my computer the Duo Login Prompt does not load, it does not send the push notification. Thus I am unable to login remotely. I have uninstalled and reinstalled with the latest version of Duo with no success.

Any ideas?

79 Replies 79

krazeekoi
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem, tried re-installing, and updating to latest version but nothing worked.

fizzrate
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same issues after installing the fall 2017 update. I can only login now after I uninstalled DUO

alanerickson
Level 1
Level 1

Same problem here. Just a login screen but no prompt. RDP works fine if 2FA is uninstalled.

Edit. A little more information on this. I was RDP’ing from Android using Microsoft’s RDP application. I haven’t tried to RDP from other platforms or another Windows computer. And when I said I would get the login screen, the login picture and mouse cursor display, but there’s not a “square box” to enter the logon password. Just a picture and that’s it.

mkorovesisduo
Level 4
Level 4

Hey everyone, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are currently investigating this.

Thanks! Is there a way for me to subscribe to notifications for when an update to the client gets pushed that resolves this? I guess I’ll probably get an email notification if more people post on this thread…

Yes, you’ll get a notification for any additional posts in this thread. We’ll provide an update here as soon as one is available.

cbass
Level 1
Level 1

I can confirm- I’m experiencing the same issue on two machines which recently had the latest Windows 10 feature update installed. RDP authentication works fine with the previous build of Windows 10.

pburgh19
Level 1
Level 1

I’ve been using Windows 10 with Duo for several months. I just added it to a new machine and found that I get prompted for a password even after I’ve done the initial Windows account username and password (before the RDP connection launches). On my other systems I do not get a 2nd password prompt… it just does the Duo push automatically. I prefer Duo prompting automatically rather than having to enter my password again.

I made sure the 3rd check box was checked during the install.

Is this related to the Windows 10 Fall update?

PatrickKnight
Level 1
Level 1

Hey @Nebb, have you looked into disabling printer redirection for RDP?

Also can you supply the build number of v1709 you are on?

Thanks

Duo_RDP_User
Level 1
Level 1

Wanted to add another report where Duo’s RDP 2FA stopped working once I updated to windows 10 Fall Creator’s update. I am on Win 10 Pro, Version 1709, Build 16299.19. But it’s happened on every version I’ve had for Fall Creator’s update going back 2 months. Imagine it should be easy to recreate. And therefore imagine every user you have will have this break when they update windows. Have you been able to reproduce at Duo? Happy to help share if not?

Dooley
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all,

Do any of the affected systems have HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\dontdisplaylastusername set to 1?

If not, can someone try making the change (DWORD) to 1 and see if this resolves your issue? This change was known to fix issues logging in with a Microsoft account in Windows 10, so our Engineering Team is wondering if the new logon issue after the Fall update is similar.

Thanks!

Nebb
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have tried this and it does not work.

Can the engineering team not replicate this problem?

Duo_RDP_User
Level 1
Level 1

My dontdisplaylastusername was set to 0 already - I assume that is what you were indicating changing the value to zero for testing?

Sorry for the confusion. Could you please try changing the value to 1 for testing?

FYI @Nebb on the above as well. And indeed we are not able to replicate the problem internally. Efforts to do to do so are continuing, but this is is a hard one to reproduce.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links