cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Duo Web iframe and Office (embedded) browsers

pgp
Level 1
Level 1

The Microsoft Office “thick” clients (Word, Excel, etc. on MacOS, Windows, iPhone, Android) support enterprise logins to Office 365 with an embedded browser that’s launched when you try to sign-in.

If using the iframe as shown in https://duo.com/docs/duoweb

<iframe id="duo_iframe">
</iframe>

For our custom WebSSO, when the embedded browser attempts to render the html page with the iframe, it fails and the sign-up stops. A Microsoft employee wrote

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/office_integration__sharepoint/2018/02/26/officeword-excel-etc-fails-to-render-duo-multifactor-authentication-login-page/

(which seems to have disappeared from the website very recently, but I have the content appended below.)

In that blog the suggestion was a iframe element like

<iframe id="duo_iframe" src="/images/tiny.gif">
</iframe>

The difference being that a minimal image is initially inserted into the iframe. We found that this does fix the problem and people can sign-in from those browsers (and it still works on traditional ones).

So, I was wondering what the folks at Duo think of this, and if it appears to be reasonable, be officially documented?

(Here’s that blog’s content, including its (one) comment)

10 Replies 10

Dooley
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Phil,
I discussed this with our engineering team, and please be aware that we do not recommend setting the src on the iframe. It will fix this specific bug but can (and does) break other integrations.

We are actively working on a fix for this and will be releasing a new minor version of the Duo Web SDK that fixes this bug without breaking other integrations. I’ll follow up in this thread when that becomes available.

Hi,
I look forward to trying out the new version. Also, if you could elaborate on which other integrations the src fix can break, that may be helpful.

DuoforSchool
Level 1
Level 1

We are also having this issues. We protect SharePoint on Prem through ADFS/WAP and documents being opened no longer work. We need this fixed.

Hey @DuoforSchool if you open up a support case we can help you out with this ADFS issue.

Will do - Thank you!

We ran into this same issue, using the Duo ADFS MFA adapter. Duo was able to compile us a special version of the ADFS MFA Adapter that had the iframe fix(workaround) that allowed the Duo authentication request to be rendered in that MS Office integrated browser popup window. It’s been working fine for us. I’ve noticed at least 1 formal release of the Duo ADFS MFA adapter since then but didn’t see that fix listed in the release notes so I’ve stuck on this older version that works.

I thought I was the only one in the world with the problem since I couldn’t find anyone else with a fix. Thankfully Duo support and engineering stepped up and provided a custom version of the adapter.

My support case number for this issue in case it helps is 00290231.

shivaramg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
Can you let us know an estimate of when this fix will be released.

We have an issue where the embedded browser fails on iframe and loads about:blank
We tried changing our code to append src when it loads the iframe but still doesnt work

Thanks

Dan_McNeece
Level 1
Level 1

We are having this problem too with a login from Excel. Any word on an update?

jmgregory
Level 1
Level 1

We’ve hit this issue as well, specifically with SharePoint Designer 2013, and it’s blocking us from delivering for our customer. Could you please update on the status of the fix? Has it been released, and if so, which version number?

One more piece of data if it helps: each time we attempt to log in and fail, we see a new “DuoAuth not configured” message in the Windows Event Viewer application log.

Amy2
Level 5
Level 5

Hi everyone, we released an update to the Duo Web SDK that contained a fix for this earlier this year. We do not currently have an update for when a fix will be available in AD FS, however.

You all probably know the drill by now, but for anyone who may be new here, please reach out to your Account Executive or Customer Success Manager (or contact Duo Support) to have your name added to a feature request for this. They may have another solution for you as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links