cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Duo Unix SSH Protection with Mac OSX Sierra

Lemex
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to protect SSH logins on Mac OSX Sierra. I have grabbed the files and installed. OpenSSL is installed in /usr/local/opt/openssl/bin, ran through the install and got an error trying to find OpenSSL, yet it is in my path. Anyone get this working?

• OpenSSL is in my path
  • ./configure --with-pam --prefix=/usr && make && sudo make install

Received following error:

configure: Error: in /Users/username/Downloads/duo_unix-1.10.1': configure: error: OpenSSL not found Seeconfig.log’ for more details

1 Reply 1

Lemex
Level 1
Level 1

Well - solved my own issue. For those who are interested in trying this:

Had to hard code the OpenSSL path; using the following command:
./configure --with-pam=/usr/local/lib/pam/ --with-openssl=/usr/local/opt/openssl/ --prefix=/usr && make && sudo make install

Also, Mac standard folders are protected and should remain that way. To resolve this, I had to add /usr/local for each standard folder. I had to change the configure file to point to /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/sbin, /usr/local/shared, /usr/local/lib.

Finally, the pam_duo.so does not work on mac, so I went with the login_duo option, and found this awesome reference which helped me resolve it. https://wiki.vcu.edu/display/D2FAS/Detailed+Instruction+for+DUO+with+SSH

Really think Duo should put together a better guide for the Mac. This shouldn’t be this difficult.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links