Views
Helpful
Replies

Duo Restore without Google Drive

Late1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I’m using Duo Authenticator on my mobile but trying to move away from Google ecosystem.

The Duo Restore functionality is really neat, but I couldn’t find a way to set it to backup to another cloud service (e.g. Nextcloud) or even locally.

Is there any way of backing up the accounts to a file / folder locally which I could manage as I wish or am I tied to use Google Drive for this purpose? Also if I just back up fully the application data from my Android, would I be able to restore the 2FA accounts as-is?

Thank you in advance!

6 Replies 6

Amy2
Level 5
Level 5

Hi @Late,
There is not currently a way to backup Duo Mobile accounts other than using the backup method for your device (Google Drive for Android and iCloud backup for iOS). This is a pretty common request we hear from users and particularly Duo admins, so I will be sure to note your interest in this and share it with our mobile team.

No, exfiltrating app data to put another device will not work for Duo accounts, and there is not a way to back up the accounts locally as stated above. I’ll share your request with the team though for future consideration! Thanks for asking this question in the Duo Community. We’re always glad to have your feedback.

RobertKlauco
Level 1
Level 1

I am not sure if there is any voting going on, but I would vote for this feature.
I use Duo for a LOT of services (really love the app), but transferring to non-google phone is a pain - I have to manually go through all the linked services, disable 2-factor, re-enable and register new Duo.
Quite bad…

Hi @RobertKlauco,
Currently there is not a voting system for ideas built-in to the Duo Community. However, we do have an internal feature request portal that either a Duo Support agent, your Account Executive, or Customer Success Manager, can add your name to in order to log your interest. I also collect and share feedback from the forums and our Duo Mobile reviews with the product team, so I will be sure to document your interest.

RobertKlauco
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks! I really like the app, so I converted all my accounts manually (that was a task! ). Still, for future, it would be great to have this.
I’ll check who represents our company, but I have to state one thing - only 2 of my accounts are company-based, the rest is private use.
If it would change anything, I would be willing to pay for some “pro” version to have this as a premium feature.

RobertKlauco
Level 1
Level 1

@Amy Is there some way how to sponsor such development?

Hi Robert,
No, not that I’m aware of. I’ll double check with the team though. We take multiple factors into consideration when deciding which features to implement based on official feature requests. These are usually prioritized by the number of customers requesting a feature, the number of customers who will use said feature, the overall business impact, as well as other considerations.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links