Views
Helpful
Replies

Duo Restore not enabling

KevinSiddique
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I’ve checked the online docs and community but wasn’t able to find an answer to my problem. I’ve had a ticket open with Duo Support for over a month but they don’t seem interested in helping.

We have Duo Restore enabled in our environment. However, when I attempt to enable it on my phone the following happens:

1. Open Duo Mobile App
  2. Go to Menu → Settings
  3. Click on Duo Restore (currently Disabled)
  4. Click on “Backup accounts with Google Drive” to enable
  5. Get prompted for a Google account
  6. Choose a Google account
  7. Nothing happens and Duo Restore is not enabled.

Do we need to enable any APIs or safelist any apps in our Google Workspace environment to get Duo Restore working?

Cheers,
Kevin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Happy Monday!

If I am understanding correctly, we actually need to add the Duo Mobile Android app as a trusted app. To do so:

1. From the App Access Control page, tap to “Add app.”

2. Select “Android” from the drop down menu

3. Search for “Duo Mobile” and select the app with id “com.duosecurity.duomobile.”

4. Configure Duo Mobile for Android to be “Trusted.”

This will allow the Duo Mobile Android app to access Google Drive! Note that there is no need to add the iOS application, since it uses a different backup mechanism for the Restore feature (iCloud Keychain).

Please let me know how this works for you!

Kevin

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Amy2
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Kevin, thanks for sharing your question here! I’m sorry to hear that you haven’t heard back from our support team regarding your case yet, and I will definitely look into that for you.

In the meantime, let me take this issue back to our mobile team and see if I can help. To answer your question:

No, this shouldn’t be the case. If you have Duo Restore enabled from the Duo Admin Panel, then taking the steps you’ve described here should work.

One clarifying question I have is, are you using Duo Mobile Instant Restore or Duo Mobile Restore (legacy)? This will help us in responding to you.

Amy2
Level 5
Level 5

Edit: You can disregard my previous questions because as it turns out, we don’t need that info for this particular case.

Following up on this, our mobile team recently identified an issue where the Duo mobile application was bumping up against a quota during backup and restore operations. This happens during the Eastern time zone morning from around 9am to 12pm for a small number of users (~1%). The quota has since been increased, so this should no longer be an issue. Please give it a try again, and if it still not working for you, let me know so we can investigate further. It should be resolved though. I hope that helps!

KevinSiddique
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply, Amy.
Unfortunately, the problem hasn’t been resolved.

I’m running Duo Mobile version 3.59.0 Build 359000 on a Pixel 4a running Android 11.

Ok, that is unfortunate, but thank you for letting me know. We are looking into this further for you, and I’ll hopefully have some more helpful info to share soon.

A few follow-up questions for you:

1. What time did you last attempt to enable Duo Restore? The team will use this to identify your attempt in our logs in an effort to pinpoint the error.
  2. Have you tried with another Google account, if you have one?
  3. Is the Google account you are using managed by a provider like your employer?

Also, I’ve looped in the support team, and we’re going to have the agent reach back out to you tomorrow so you can hopefully get this resolved faster than you would by working in the forum here with me.

KevinSiddique
Level 1
Level 1
  1. The last attempt was yesterday. I’ll try again right now as well. (no luck)
  2. Yes, I have two Google accounts on my work phone and neither work.
  3. Yes, both accounts are Google Workspace accounts managed by company.

Again, thanks for the quick responses. It’s much appreciated.

Hi again, it turns out I may have been wrong earlier when I said no to your question “Do we need to enable any APIs or safelist any apps in our Google Workspace environment to get Duo Restore working?” We’re still investigating on our end to determine whether or not this is the issue, but the relevant API is the “Drive API”. Drive is listed on this page, and it may be that the Google Workspace admin needs to whitelist our app. More to come on this.

To clarify, when you say nothing happens, you’re not seeing a dialog box with a message along the lines of Service with Google Drive is unavailable at this time. Try again later. correct? And there’s no other error message?

ETA: One last thing to check, have you disabled GDrive entirely? To test if this is the case, please try to do one of the following: access the GDrive app with the relevant account selected, save a file to the drive, or read a file there.

KevinSiddique
Level 1
Level 1

To clarify, when you say nothing happens, you’re not seeing a dialog box with a message along the lines of Service with Google Drive is unavailable at this time. Try again later. correct? And there’s no other error message?

That’s correct. I choose the Google account then I’m back at the “Duo Restore Settings” screen. No other dialogs, no error message.

ETA: One last thing to check, have you disabled GDrive entirely? To test if this is the case, please try to do one of the following: access the GDrive app with the relevant account selected , save a file to the drive, or read a file there.

I’m able to access Google Drive via app and browser on my phone using either Google account.

For what it’s worth, everything works fine on my personal phone using my personal GMail account.

Thanks for testing that and letting us know! We’ll be in touch again soon… Appreciate your patience with this as well.

Amy2
Level 5
Level 5

Hi again, following up on this - I see that you are working with Dave from our Support channel on this now. I recommend you continue to work directly with him (I shared this forum thread, and we’ve talked internally, so he has all of the details you provided here.) He’ll be able to assist you with this!

This is definitely a support issue, and we don’t normally handle those or any advanced troubleshooting here in the Duo Community since it’s a rather inefficient way to communicate on something like this, and we can’t screenshare or share any details of your environment. I was just trying to help out since our support team has been dealing with a large volume of cases lately and you hadn’t heard back.

KevinSiddique
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

This is still a problem.

On Sept 8, 2021 I got a reply from the product team:

Currently at this point, it looks like there is some limitation with Workspace that’s preventing our Restore functionality from working. We don’t currently have a test environment on hand we can use to troubleshoot this easily and we currently are all hands on deck for a major UI refresh that’s coming in the next few weeks.

Understandable, so I followed up with the product team, my account rep, and Support on Jan 25, 2022 with no reply.

I followed up again on Feb 1, 2022. That time I got a reply from the product team:

Unfortunately, we do not have a major update on this from last year. We’re still working on setting up a test environment to be able to dig into this.
I apologize as I know this is frustrating for you. I am going to touch base with the team on this and get back to you in February with clearer next steps on our side.

I followed up with the product team, my account rep, and Support on Mar 4, 2022 with no reply. So I sent another followup today (Mar 18, 2022).

What does it take to get a reply from my account rep or the Support team?

Hi Kevin, thanks for following up on this to let me know. I appreciate you sharing this feedback about the support experience. Duo Support is taking a number of steps to address the concerns and improve the overall experience. I’ll share some of those here for context.

First, we appreciate your patience. To be perfectly transparent, over the course of the pandemic, demand has outpaced our hiring. Support has worked to correct that over the last 6 months, and we are trending in a positive direction as we continue to bring on new team members. We’re also working with our partners in Sales, Product, Engineering, and more on a few key projects to help reduce our response times, improve our prioritization of cases, and build new tooling. The additional hiring will help with real-time support on phones (our phone wait time is still longer than we’d like to see).

In the meantime, I realize this doesn’t directly help you with your specific issue. I’ll follow up with you separately about this.

Hi Kevin,

I’m the PM Lead for Mobile at Duo - re-iterating Amy’s thanks for following-up and apologies for the delay in response.

I’m taking this back and doing an assessment with engineering to see the scope of work involved in trying to fix it. We’re hoping to have an estimate by next week. If it’s something Duo can fix on our end, we will treat and prioritize it like a bug and give you an update accordingly. If it’s something bigger (and would require work with Google) we have to treat it like a feature request and will wait to gauge interest from the wider customer base to think about prioritize working on it.

Either way, I’ll respond back by next week with an update on how we plan to move forward.

kcarpenter1
Level 1
Level 1

Hey, Kevin! I’m on the Duo Mobile Engineering team. I’ve spent a little bit of time investigating this issue, and I have some things that I recommend you try:

If you have access to your Google Workspace settings, can you check a couple of settings for me?

1. "Drive and Docs" settings: Settings > Apps > Google Workspace > Drive and Docs > Features and Applications > Drive SDK
    The Drive SDK setting must be enabled for us to back up accounts.
  2. App Access Control – Google Services (Security > API Controls > Manage Google Services): We need to ensure that Drive allows access by Duo Mobile. Under Google Services, we need Drive to either be marked as “Unrestricted” or “Restricted,” but with Duo Mobile marked as a trusted app (see below).
  3. App Access Control – Configured Apps (Security > API Controls > Manage Third-Party App Access): I am able to reproduce your issue on a test Workspace when I have Duo Mobile Access configuration set us “Blocked: Can’t access any Google service.” Duo Mobile for Android needs to be marked as Trusted or Limited, with the App Access controls described above set to permit Duo Mobile, as well.

My hunch is that the issue is some combination of settings, such that Duo Mobile does not have permission to interact with your Workspace’s user’s Drive files. If I can provide more guidance or clarity around the items above, I will be happy to do so.

Thank you for your patience.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links