cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Duo request before valid password

mrivett1
Level 1
Level 1

I’ve run into an interesting problem on an externally facing server that excepts password based authentication.

The server is running Centos 7.7

If a user tried to login with a password via SSH, and types in a bad password Duo still pushes out a notification prompt to the end user. If the user accepts the prompt they are then prompted for the password again (followed by another Duo push)

Is there a way to get this so Duo only pushes on a successful password entry? This server gets quite a few password scans run against it, and even with fail2ban the users sill get several pushes that don’t need to happen before the scanning IP is banned.

2 Replies 2

mrivett1
Level 1
Level 1
PAM.d ssh config:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       substack     password-auth
auth       include      postlogin
auth       required    pam_env.so
auth       sufficient   pam_duo.so
auth       required    pam_deny.so
account    required     pam_sepermit.so
account    required     pam_nologin.so
account    include      password-auth
password   include      password-auth
# pam_selinux.so close should be the first session rule
session    required     pam_selinux.so close
session    required     pam_loginuid.so
# pam_selinux.so open should only be followed by sessions to be executed in the user context
session    required     pam_selinux.so open env_params
session    required     pam_namespace.so
session    optional     pam_keyinit.so force revoke
session    optional     pam_motd.so
session    include      password-auth
session    include      postlogin

mrivett1
Level 1
Level 1

Replying to myself again, as a workaround (in case someone else has this problem) I’ve switched to using login_duo rather than PAM. I’d still really like to use PAM, but at least on this externally facing system I don’t have to worry about spamming my admins with false requests.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links