cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DUO instead of Microsoft Authenticator for O365?

pughco
Level 1
Level 1

I have mfa configured for my MS Office 365 account. Does the DUO app support this platform? I could not get the DUO app to import the 0365 account so I am using the MS Authenticator app for O365 mfa. I would like to consolidate my authentication apps if possible.

6 Replies 6

mkorovesisduo
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, we do offer a direct integration with O365.

Are you using the Duo Mobile app to generate passcodes for third-party apps?

Not currently generating passcodes for third party apps…but I think that is what I am after. I am not interested in direct integration with DUO, just want to use the app as the authenticator for O365. Does that make sense?

Yes, it does make sense. Yes, you can use the Duo Mobile app as an authenticator for O365. Follow the process outlined in this article, but substitute MS Authenticator for Duo Mobile: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-microsoft-authenticator-with-office-365-1412611f-ad8d-43ab-807c-7965e5155411

Note, however, that you will not be able to use Duo Push or any other authentication methods beyond Duo Mobile-generated passcodes if you do not have a direct integration between Duo and O365.

KevinSiddique
Level 1
Level 1

I can confirm that generating codes for O365 works in the Duo Mobile App. I’ve removed Google Authenticator and MS Authenticator from my phone and use Duo exclusively. I use it for GSuite, AWS, Git, Teamviewer, O365, and a lot more.

Dudleydogg
Level 1
Level 1

just says Invalid Activation Code, if you go add manually and even choose Microsoft it does not accept the Code. soo Something has changed since this Article? I want to subscribe to Duo but don’t want users to have to setup 2 different authentication apps.
What is the Trick to get Duo to work by Scanning bar card for Microsoft Authenticator?

Clinton_B
Level 1
Level 1

Typical Microsoft chaos. Doesn’t work if you try to add it, Doesn’t work if you try to use the qr code generated (that only works for MS Authenticator app) hence the ‘Invalid Authentication Code’ error.
Fix is:
Step 1: Go to azure active directory - users - per user mfa tab
Step 2: Disable MFA for user you want to setup
Step 3: Login as user, go to ‘my account’ then security info
Step 4: now click ADD METHOD, selecte authenticator app from dropdown
Step 5: Microsoft Authenticator getting started app loads, but along the bottom is a tiny hyperlink that says “I want to use a different authenticator app”
Step 6: this is how you can enable Duo
Step 7: after added, go back and ENABLE mfa for the user in the az directory

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links