Views
Helpful
Replies

Duo for RDP on a Windows VM processed by Veeam

AlexLaforge
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
We plan to install DUO on ESXi VM’s running Windows.
These VM are processed by Veeam Backup and Replication : Replicas and Backups of these Vm’s are created.
Veeam sometimes need to log to the guest OS (the Windows OS): would installing DUO for RDP prevent Veeam from working properly?
Thank for your thoughts

4 Replies 4

AlexLaforge
Level 1
Level 1

My tests show that installing DUO on protected Windows VM’s does not pose any problem : Veeam Backup and Replication is still able to create Backup and Replicas for these VM’s

What if you are using Orchestrator to perform automated testing of those backups/replicas? I thought this was the scenario you were referring to. I wonder if it would interfere with it being able to boot and access parts of the system for testing. I know something as simple as requiring UAC Prompts can hinder some of those tests.

@BWarrenITC Great finding! I had not been thinking about this. As I am not using Orchestrator, Duo won’t pose problem. But yes, if I were using it (or UAC), I think Duo should provide a way to overcome this. Duo team: any thoughts on this ?

If Orchestrator performs the tests with a named Windows account you can create that account in Duo as a user with bypass status. That way any Duo prompt for that user won’t require interactive 2FA.

Duo, not DUO.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links