This blog post by Duo Senior AppSec Engineer Kelby Ludwig describes a new vulnerability class that affects SAML-based single sign-on (SSO) systems. This vulnerability can allow an attacker with authenticated access to trick SAML systems into authenticating as a different user without knowledge of the victim user’s password.
Kelby and the rest of the Duo Labs research team identified multiple vendors that were affected by this flaw:
- OneLogin - python-saml - CVE-2017-11427
- OneLogin - ruby-saml - CVE-2017-11428
- Clever - saml2-js - CVE-2017-11429
- OmniAuth-SAML - CVE-2017-11430
- Shibboleth - CVE-2018-0489
- Duo Network Gateway - CVE-2018-7340
We recommend that individuals that rely on SAML-based SSO to update any affected software to patch this vulnerability.