Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Display_name in the /preauth response

There is an element “display_name” in the /preauth response. Is there any convention duo follows to send a display_name in the response? Can it ever be null or empty?

9 Replies 9

DuoKristina
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The display_name is optional and is free text entered by the Duo admin or end user.

Duo, not DUO.

I am talking about display_name - not device name.

So am I, I just typed the wrong thing! Oops.

Duo, not DUO.

I do not find any option to set a display name. I do see an option to setup a device name. When i test the auth api, I find that the display name is in this format:
<device_type> (XXX-XXX-1234)
iOS (***-***-1234)

Is that something set by the admin optionally or it is built in the rest service itself?

In the UI it is the “Device Name”.

Duo, not DUO.

Can it be null by any chance?

@DuoKristina Can the field display_name be null by any means?

No, it can be blank but not NULL.

Duo, not DUO.

@DuoKristina, The “device name” in the UI, as you mentioned, is entered by the admin. If the admin does not enter anything, then it is blank. But, when i run the authapi, I am not getting back the device_name as display name as a part of the api response - I am getting the field display_name as mentioned in your auth api documentation. I am getting the device name (in admin sdk UI) as “name” from the auth api call.

1X_3fe4c09561444cdc14ba5244af7cf2fe5ca8d888.png

What I want to understand is whether this field “display_name”, which is constructed by the duo auth api service itself, can ever be an empty string. Is it possible to clarify that in your api doc as well? I precisely want to know the format of this “display_name” field in your auth api and whether or not it can be empty.

Quick Links