cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Custom icons in Duo app?

lee5
Level 1
Level 1

I’m using the Duo app not just for the multiple duo-protected applications and sites I sign into, but also for storing all of TOTP-based 2FA logins—I’ve got 27 different logins in the app as of this morning.

The duo-protected items pick up their icon from the Duo service, and there are pre-made icons for several of the other TOTP items I use (like AWS), but for the majority of logins I have to either pick an incorrect icon from the app’s list of icons, or just go without.

Having icons to visually differentiate the logins when scanning through the list is a huge help, so I end up going with distinct (but often incorrect) icons so that each service has a visual identifier. However, it would be even better if the app supported user-specified icons—either by picking an image from my device’s filesystem, or by feeding the app the URL of an image I want to use.

Duo has said for at least a couple of years that this functionality is coming, but it has yet to materialize. Any ETA?

46 Replies 46

mkorovesisduo
Level 4
Level 4

Hi lee, I’ll check with our development team on that. In the meantime, did you know that you can change the name of accounts listed in the Duo Mobile app? That might help differentiate your accounts as well.

Taylor_McCaslin
Level 1
Level 1

Howdy Lee,

I’m the Product Manager for Duo Mobile. I’m thrilled to hear you are using Duo Mobile as an authenticator for 3rd party accounts.

We occasionally add new services as customers request them. What services are you using that you want added? We can add those to our queue for future support.

We are considering allowing custom logos in the future, but at this time I don’t have a timeline to share.

I would like to see custom icons for:

1. Microsoft Volume Licensing Portal
  2. Dell Secure Works
  3. OpenSRS

Here’s an idea: While you are creating the Custom Logo feature (so we can add logos, so you don’t have to), why not create create a stopgap:

1. Add the ability to change the name of an account (that way, we can organize and differentiate without the need for custom logos at all (honestly…I can’t understand why this is not already there)); and/or
  2. Add some ‘generic’ logos…numbers, letters…cute pictures (e.g., I currently use the Evernote Elephant logo to differentiate one of my accounts, but hate seeing the Evernote name (no offense EverNote)…would be better to have generic logos to choose from, would be easier for you (than designing, getting owner clearance, etc.), and might even be fun for the Users and DevTeam alike)

That’s my 2 cents.

Until then…please add:

1. Casepoint eDiscovery Platform
  2. Original Casepoint (aka Lyra)

Hi Gary, thanks for your feedback. You can currently edit the name of an account in Duo Mobile using the processes described in this Knowledge Base article.

Thanks. I had actually seen that but didn’t change it because the AccountName was showing as my login username and thought was important. I’ve now changed it and tested it.

Thanks

I still use the logos from others…because they are pretty and help…unfortunately, the name of the entity that goes with the logo is not editable. I would still suggest that some stock logos be made available to allow Users to personalize their use…as per my suggestions below.

Thanks.

Gary.

lee5
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for getting back to me, guys.

@Taylor_McCaslin, here’s a nearly complete list of sites I’m using 2FA with that don’t include icons:

…and also a Discourse icon would be useful for Discourse forums like this one, since CodingHorror & team added TOTP 2FA to Discourse a few versions ago.

Thanks for the opportunity for feedback.

RoodAwakening
Level 1
Level 1

Duo Security Team/Devs:

Please add the custom icon feature. I’ve been using Duo for years and years and, like the thread starter mentioned, your users have waited patiently for this very simple request. That’s because we utilize Duo for MFA across all of our accounts, not just the 40 or so you’ve pre-configured as defaults. Yes, I’ve changed the name to differentiate between them but the icon is important, too.

Please, please, please???

mwarren
Level 1
Level 1

@Taylor_McCaslin

• IBMid used for IBM Cloud
  • Synology DSM
  • Cisco (Defense Orchistrator)
  • Zoho Accounts

Alan10
Level 1
Level 1

@Taylor_McCaslin

I would also like the ability to set my own icons. It would be useful for sites you don’t have icons for, as well as cases where a different icon would be more meaningful. For example, I have two Google accounts, one personal, one work related, and I’d like to set my work account to my employer’s logo.

But if you’re open to adding additional icons built in, could you please add the truly essential, security critical fimfiction dot net? I wouldn’t want my My Little Pony fan fiction account compromised! (Yes, fimfiction really offers TFA. Yes, I have a fimfiction account. Yes, I’d like a cute little pony icon in my Duo app.)

• VK
  • Ubisoft (Uplay)

mkorovesisduo
Level 4
Level 4

Hi everyone! Thanks for sharing your requests for new icons in this thread. Going forward, we’d like to ask that you please create a “formal” feature request for new icons by either contacting Duo Support with your request or speaking with your Duo Account Executive or Duo Customer Success Manager.

@mkorovesisduo - Thanks for the response. I’m going to open a ticket per your recommendation. I will share Duo support’s response in this thread so the community can see the results of the process.

edit - I have created a feature request with case ID 00340294.

edit^2 - Here is the response I’ve received:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Duo support. I understand you have a request for the Duo Mobile app.

I have attached you to an existing feature request for this functionality. I am unable to speak to a timeline of this request, however the team will be in contact with interested customers directly. From the Support side of things, the case will be resolved, but your Feature Request will stay open with the Applications team.

If you have any more questions, or need any further assistance, please don’t hesitate to reach back out.

Thanks,
Tom

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links