cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can the Apple Watch receive a push notification if its paired iPhone is not available?

nithin1
Level 1
Level 1

A couple months back my iPhone broken while I was on-call for production support. Our VPN only allows for Duo Push notifications, so I had to rush to the Apple store and have my phone repaired on the spot.

Fast-forward a couple months and I noticed that Duo supports Apple Watch. Initially I thought this could have helped me in the situation where my iPhone broke, however, it seems that the Apple Watch will not receive push notifications if the paired iPhone isn’t available (e.g. broken or lost).

Can the Apple Watch receive a push notification if its paired iPhone is not available?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Amy2
Level 5
Level 5

Hi @nithin,

You are correct, the Apple Watch is not able to generate passcodes or answer push notifications without a nearby phone as it requires communication with Duo Mobile running on a phone.

To your point about what to do in the event that your phone breaks or you forget it at home, you can always contact your administrator. They will be able to generate a bypass code for you as a temporary workaround, so you will be able to access your Duo-protected applications in the meantime.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Amy2
Level 5
Level 5

Hi @nithin,

You are correct, the Apple Watch is not able to generate passcodes or answer push notifications without a nearby phone as it requires communication with Duo Mobile running on a phone.

To your point about what to do in the event that your phone breaks or you forget it at home, you can always contact your administrator. They will be able to generate a bypass code for you as a temporary workaround, so you will be able to access your Duo-protected applications in the meantime.

nithin1
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the prompt response! That answers my question.

jasenhudson2
Level 1
Level 1

The Apple Watch is a smartwatch created by Apple Inc. It is capable of receiving push notifications even if the paired iPhone is not available. This is possible because the Apple Watch has its own cellular connection, allowing it to stay connected even when the iPhone is not present. Additionally, the Apple Watch can make phone calls and send text messages, allowing users to stay connected even when their iPhone is not available.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links