cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I authenticate from my Fitbit Versa 2 smartwatch?

patrickemin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have an Android phone with the DUO Mobile app installed and a Fitbit Versa 2 smartwatch. When I have to authenticate, I have to take my phone each time, it would be handy to do that on my smartwatch since I always have it on my wrist. Do you know if that is possible? Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Amy2
Level 5
Level 5

Hi @patrickemin, welcome to the Duo Community, and thank you for asking your question here! Currently Duo Mobile is only supported on smartwatches with Wear OS or the Apple Watch. You are not alone in this request, however, and I can add your interest to our existing feature request for this.

It doesn’t really help you now, but it appears from a recent announcement that future FitBit watches will utilize Wear OS technology, so this will likely work in the future.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Amy2
Level 5
Level 5

Hi @patrickemin, welcome to the Duo Community, and thank you for asking your question here! Currently Duo Mobile is only supported on smartwatches with Wear OS or the Apple Watch. You are not alone in this request, however, and I can add your interest to our existing feature request for this.

It doesn’t really help you now, but it appears from a recent announcement that future FitBit watches will utilize Wear OS technology, so this will likely work in the future.

@Amy the appeal becomes very poignant when I end up waking up someone in my household because I need to get my phone to use 2FA . University of Utah has a 12 hr expiration on authentication for just about every online service they offer (varies by University, 2 weeks at Brigham Young University IIRC). This applies to both students and employees. The fact that there used to be a workaround that was removed via an update was also pretty disappointing, and I noticed that you mentioned in a link below that this was probably a change on the Fitbit side rather than on the DUO side.

Cross-referencing some other places this request has appeared:
https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Duo-Mobile-Notification-on-Watches-to-Accept-or-Reject-Access/idi-p/3508273

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Other-Versa-Smartwatches/Duo-Mobile-support-on-Fitbit-Versa/td-p/2610314

Apparently, 2FA works fine with Fitbit on Microsoft Authenticator app, but from what I can tell my university (and probably a number of others) doesn’t support Microsoft Authenticator, only DUO.

Other universities mentioned: Georgia Tech, UDayton, Ohio State

I thought about trying to get a text with a code instead of the push notification → “accept”, but this is also not supported (Duo 2FA phone call, text options will be discontinued July 17 - University Information Technology - The University of Utah). One of my only options then becomes purchasing a token for $23 and putting it on my keychain (another one being to never part ways with my phone).

Might also be able to use a YubiKey as well (~$45)

Any chance DUO could sponsor a freelancer to write a Fitbit app to interface with DUO? Or that DUO and Fitbit could get some discussion started with each other? (rather than Fitbit/DUO users as the middle person)

Hi @sgbaird, thank you for taking the time to read through our past responses on this matter and document and share your detailed feedback with us! I can understand how this would be a less than ideal experience for you, and we certainly don’t want to make any of our customers feel like the middle person.

I would recommend you have the Duo Support team add your name to the existing feature request, if you have not already. That’s the best way to add your support for functionality you would like to see implemented. I’ve also passed your comments along to our mobile team for greater visibility.

You mention purchasing a hardware token or Yubikey. In some cases, the university you are affiliated with may cover the cost of this for you. I’d encourage you to check with them on that.

To be honest, I’m not sure of the answers to your questions. Speaking with Fitbit directly seems more likely than us sponsoring a freelancer. The latter is not something I’ve heard of us doing before. Regardless, I’ve shared your ideas with our internal team for their consideration.

Is there any progress for this?

GabbyGirl
Level 1
Level 1

Still hoping that this might work out - any update? #versa2 #fitbit

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links