cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup 3rd-party accounts and reset password

thank_you
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, good afternoon! I saw a post today warning to backup Duo in case of losing one’s phone. So I started out getting everything ready in iCloud and I went to enable backup third-party accounts and it wants a password. I, unfortunately, did not get to try many passwords as once I clicked one too many times and it registered it as more than one attempt even though I did not enter a different code. That definitely should be fixed in future editions. Anyhow, there is one attempt left. I am guessing I may know what the password is but am afraid I’ll be totally locked out if I try again. I still have access to everything at this time… this is most frustrating because usually there is a password reset option and here that is not the case. What can I do, if anything, to ensure that my accounts are secure and accessible when in the future I upgrade my phone? Would disabling two-factor auth for all the related apps, uninstalling Duo and then doing a factory reset on my phone, reinstalling Duo, and then reassociating the apps be a solution? As I said, I currently have access and am planning ahead in case something does happen. Please help me to find a solution.

5 Replies 5

Amy2
Level 5
Level 5

Hi @thank_you and welcome to the Duo Community! You can reset the recovery password for third-party accounts in Duo Mobile by disabling and then re-enabling third-party restore following the instructions here:

iOS:

1. Open the settings of the Duo Mobile app by selecting the hamburger menu in the upper left and select Settings .
  2. Toggle off the option to Backup third-party accounts .
  3. Toggle the setting back on.
  4. You will then be prompted to set a new recovery password.

I know you mentioned iCloud, but if anyone reading uses Android, this is also possible.

Android:

1. Open the settings of the Duo Mobile app by selecting the hamburger menu in the upper left and select Settings .
  2. Select Duo Restore .
  3. From the Duo Restore Settings menu, toggle off the option to Automatically reconnect third-party accounts .
  4. Toggle the setting back on.
  5. You will then be prompted to set a new recovery password.

I hope that helps! Thanks for being proactive and reaching out before you are locked out, as there is little we can do to assist once that happens.

Under settings, the Backup third-party accounts feature is switched off. Due to this, I cannot toggle it on without it the password. Is it possible that I had this installed on my previous phone and that is the reason the toggle feature to reset my password is not available?

Did you have Duo Mobile installed on your previous device, and did you ever manually enable Third-Party Restore and create a recovery password on that device?

It sounds like you may have not enabled Duo Restore for Third-Party Accounts before. When you turn on Duo Restore for Third-Party accounts for the first time, you are asked to create a 10-128 character password. Do you see a field to enter a password, and then a second field to confirm the password?

Adrian_Vel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I bought a new phone and my Instagram account was linked to the dou app and every time I try to login to my IG it’s requesting a code I already tried recovering my account through IG team support but the questions they ask are ridiculous and I don’t recall what email is I used or the device. Can you please help me

Hello @Adrian_Vel, I’m sorry to hear you lost access to Instagram!

Unfortunately, Duo doesn’t have access to anything on your Instagram account or any other third-party accounts, so we are unable to help you regain access.

If you enabled Duo Restore for third-party accounts on your old phone, or if you still have access to your old phone, you can use Duo Restore to transfer Instagram account access to your new phone by following this documentation:

1. Duo Restore for iOS
  2. Duo Restore for Android

Instagram will be able to verify your identity and help you reset your account, though it may take some time to work with them to verify you’re the account owner. Review Instagram’s help FAQ documentation, and then reach out to their team using this form:

https://help.instagram.com/contact/272476913194545

Or, on the Instagram login screen, tap Forgot password?, tap Need more help? below the Next button, and follow the on-screen instructions.

After you regain access to Instagram, take these precautions to prevent loss of access in the future:

1. Create and save an Instagram recovery code
  2. Review the Duo Restore Guide and set up Duo Restore to your own backup of choice so you can avoid the loss of your third-party account access
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links