Auth_status endpoint waiting for request completion?

Hi There,

I’m attempting to build an authentication integration through the API. Most everything is working as expected, except for the auth_status endpoint when working through an ‘asynchronous’ request (only tested using the ‘push’ factor)

The initial request returns the ‘txid’ attribute as documented.

However, when I then try to check on the status of that authentication after a few seconds using the auth_status endpoint, sending ‘txid’ as a parameter, the API call results are not returned until the authentication request has completed (‘allow’ or ‘deny’), or the https connection times out, similar to a ‘non’-asynchronous request.

This isn’t what I had anticipated, thinking instead the results of the query would be returned ‘immediately’, indicating whether the request has completed, or is still ‘waiting’. Have I made an incorrect assumption, or perhaps done something wrong?

Thanks,
Sean.

0 Likes

Could you provide an example of your application’s POST to /auth/v2/auth?

0 Likes

Sure thing!

I’m pulling these values out of the example Java client with some added ‘println’ lines…

To /auth/v2/auth endpoint is posted:
async=1&device=$deviceId&factor=push&username=$uid
where $deviceId is the Duo ID for the device
and where $uid is the Duo username associated with ‘my’ (test) account.

The endpoint returns (in my latested test):
{“txid”: “$transactionId”}

where $transactionId is a GUID that I assume is a ‘transaction identifier’ :slight_smile:

I then send a ‘GET’ request to:
/auth/v2/auth_status

with the query parameters:
txid=$transactionId

… and the call to that endpoint holds the HTTPs connection open until the authentication is complete, or the HTTPs connection times out.

Thanks,
Sean.

0 Likes

I’m curious as to where this topic got to. I have the same question as Sean, in that the call to auth_status responds the first time but time’s out on subsequent calls.

The API documentation is ambiguous in that the description for auth endpoint async param states:
“If you enable async, then your application will be able to retrieve real-time status updates from the authentication process, rather than receiving no information until the process is complete.”

However, the description for the auth_status endpoint states:
" The /auth_status endpoint “long-polls” for the next status update from the authentication process for a given transaction. That is to say, if no status update is available at the time the request is sent, it will wait until there is an update before returning a response."

The behaviour as described by the async param is what I would expect for an async process.

0 Likes

Hi There,

I never received any followup on the subject. We’ve been living with the “wait until response or timeout” for now as we had to move on. I did not notice the “long-poll” statement on the endpoint documentation, so the behaviour was extra confusing to me at the time…

At least I know I’m not alone now!
Thanks,
Sean.

0 Likes

I’m curious about this one too.

I don’t see the point of having /auth with async while /auth_status is not asynchronous. I’d expect the API call /auth_status to return immediately everytime even if the status is the same.

I’m doing the same thing as Sean. I implemented a short timeout.

0 Likes