cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Apple M1 Support

David_Parham
Level 1
Level 1

I know that support on Apple Silicon is currently not available (Two-Factor Authentication for macOS | Duo Security). I know it is probably not possible to say what a projected release date might be, but is anyone aware of an estimate for when we might see Apple Silicon supported by DUO? Q2 2021?

Dave

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi everyone,

I’m happy to let you know that Duo for Mac Login v2.0.0 with official M1 support (and offline authentication) was released today.

See the updated instructions at Duo Two-Factor Authentication for macOS | Duo Security

Duo, not DUO.

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

Amy2
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Dave, the team is looking at adding this in the future, but there is no ETA yet.
If you’d like to add your support to the official request, you can do so by contacting Duo Support or your Customer Success Manager or Account Executive if those are applicable to you.

STEPHAN BUDACH
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @Vikas_Patel,

what do you mean by that? I didn’t spot any upate to the Duo macOS logon client.

KevinSiddique
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Are there any updates on this? I emailed support 10 days ago and there hasn’t been a single response. I also followed up with my Enterprise Account Exec and he’s going to “follow up”. That was 4 days ago. My question was simple: “Is there an ETA for Apple M1 support in the Duo client?”. A quick “Yes” or “No” would have been fine.

Why does it take so long for a paying customer to get a response?

Hi @KevinSiddique, our apologies for the wait times you’re experiencing. Our support team has been dealing with unprecedented support case volume for some time, and we are working hard to address this to get customers a more timely response.

We cannot share ETAs publicly in the Duo Community before an official announcement is made, because they are always subject to change as we test and verify solutions. That being said, yes there is an ETA.

As always, thanks for the quick response @Amy .
The last time I contacted support was about 6 months ago and it took a very long time for a response. Maybe it’s time to hire more support techs.

jkelley1
Level 1
Level 1

Yea, this isn’t a red flag at all.

Amy2
Level 5
Level 5

Hi @Vikas_Patel, a friendly reminder that soliciting people for personal information or for the purposes of selling is against our community guidelines, and your post will be removed. Thanks!

P.S. FYI @jkelley and anyone else who might be reading, you can always flag posts you deem inappropriate or are concerned about for review by the moderation team. Select the ellipsis “” button underneath the post in question, then select the flag button and choose the reason you are flagging the post from the options shown.

AndrewG1
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning. Looks like the original request for the M1 release ETA was 11 months ago. I am wondering if there is an update to the M1 support/compatibility for Mac OS Authentication.

Hi @AndrewG, we are still working on this. There’s not an update I can share publicly about this yet, but you can check with your Account Executive or Duo Care team (if you have one) to see if they could share more details with you.

michaelswope
Level 1
Level 1

I’m checking in for an update on this as well. The first M1 Mac was released in November 2020. I have a number of M1 Macs in my organization that need Duo installed. The message on this page says

“Duo Authentication for macOS does not support Apple M1 ARM-based processors. Do not install Duo on these systems.”

Does that mean that it will work but it’s just not supported? Or does that mean that it will not work and cause other problems? Rosetta is installed on all of my M1 Macs which should allow for support for apps that weren’t developed specifically for the M1. Thank you!

FWIW, we have Duo installed on many M1-based Macs and it works just fine. Yes, Rosetta is required but otherwise we have not encountered any issues.

Not applicable

Good morning Jeff, I was wondering if you could provide instructions on how you got the agent to work on M1-based Macs please? My team and I would really appreciate it.

We deployed with Jamf, and the M1-based Macs must have Rosetta installed first.

I should note that as of today this may no longer be true. With the Duo update that was just released today (1.1.1) it looks like it no longer works with M1 Macs even with Rosetta installed. Take caution if you test Duo 1.1.1 with M1 Macs on Monterey 12.3 – it prevents login. So what I said in my prior comment is true only for Duo 1.1.0 and M1 Macs running macOS 12.2.1 or earlier.

It’s really quite alarming that Duo still does not officially support Apple Silicon - it’s been more than a year since the release of M1, you cannot even buy Intel-based Macs anymore, and yet they still cannot even provide an ETA for support.

Hi everyone! I know there is a lot of anticipation around when this will be supported. We typically cannot provide public updates or ETAs until the feature is fully tested and launched, as estimates are always subject to change. I can see how this might be frustrating, so we really appreciate you bearing with us, as we will have an update to share soon!

As always, you can contact your Account Executive or Customer Success Manager, if you are a Duo Care customer, or ask Duo Support for a more detailed update. They may be able to share more with you than I can here in the public forum.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links