cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyone know of a rough timeline for Safari hardware token support?

colohost
Level 1
Level 1

Curious if anyone has heard dates on when Duo will support tokens in Safari. Safari 13 has been out a while now and my users still can’t use their Yubikeys with it and Duo; I’d have hoped Duo would have been ahead of the curve getting ready for it with betas, but apparently not. Support just gives me nothing when I ask.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DuoKristina
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I’m happy to share that security key support is coming for Safari 13 very early in 2020.

Duo, not DUO.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

DuoKristina
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I’m happy to share that security key support is coming for Safari 13 very early in 2020.

Duo, not DUO.

DuoKristina
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@colohost

Thanks for your patience. Security key support for Safari 13 is rolling out with the most recent production deployment update starting today. You should see it working for your account by next Thursday at the latest.

Duo, not DUO.

caphill
Level 1
Level 1

Should this work now? We still see “Requires Chrome to use Security Keys.” When selecting a U2F key on Safari (13.1.2 and 14.0.1 tech preview on macOS 10.15.6).

Yes, WebAuthn security keys work in Chrome. As described in the user guide, it must be a WebAuthn/FIDO2 security key if you want to use it in Firefox or Safari. U2F isn’t supported in any browser but Chrome.

Were you never prompted to update your existing U2F key registration during Chrome authentications? That might indicate you have a U2F-only key.

Duo, not DUO.

caphill
Level 1
Level 1

It is a YuiKey 5C NFC. I added it via the admin panel (in Chrome).

I tested it in Chrome yesterday and it worked (I can see this in the admin logs), but I was never prompted to update the U2F key registration. It then was not usable in Safari.

Today I used it in Chrome and was immediately prompted to do the update. Once I’ve done that it worked as you described. Normally I would say I just misremembered ever trying it in Chrome, but I can see in the logs that I did. Maybe I just didn’t notice the pop up, but whatever the cause this key does work in Safari on macOS after the update.

It does not work in Safari on the latest iOS (13.7, have not tried beta 14). Should I expect it to?

Thank you for the help.

No, we don’t support authenticating with the WebAuthn Security keys on mobile OS just yet.

Duo, not DUO.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links